• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought this was interesting!

20 posts in this topic

I was browsing through the medals offered by the Monnaie de Paris when I spotted this restrike of the Seal of the First Republic of France, 1792-1804. What caught my eye was the bundle of fasces, and it made me think of the Winged Liberty reverse. Does anyone know of any other coins or medals with similar designs that predate the "Mercury" dime?

Chris

108853.jpg.934e9727b1c44636bcaa04d057e19989.jpg

I made this post in 08, does not answer your question, but is related.

Look here

Thanks for pulling that out for us, Woody! I wonder who, in Roman times, first came up with the idea for the fasces?

Chris

Chris, I love the medal in your OP. What does the other side look like?

The Seal of the First Republic is a uniface (one-sided) medal. In addition to the bronze restrike, the Paris Mint also offers it in golden bronze and silvered bronze.

The Paris Mint also offers medals for the Second Republic, 1848-1852, which is a two-sided medal, and a really cool modern medal of Bartholdi's "Statue of Liberty". You can see these at the link I've provided. Be sure to look at the reverse of the Statue of Liberty.

It's also interesting to note that there is a surcharge (VAT) imposed for purchases from within the European Union, but none for purchases outside of the EU.

http://boutique.monnaiedeparis.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Monnaie-Front-Site/en_US/-/EUR/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=jMrZEzvyvhUAAAEkcHIMnPaq

Chris

Look here

Thanks for pulling that out for us, Woody! I wonder who, in Roman times, first came up with the idea for the fasces?

Chris

Well, I made this post in '07

Look here, again

Look here

Chris

Look here, again

I'd still like to know who came up with the idea!

It was probably some poor slob who happened to read a handbill along the Via Appia.............. [font:Comic Sans MS] Ut enim pecuniam dare m! [/font]

Look here

Chris

Look here, again

I'd still like to know who came up with the idea!

It was probably some poor slob who happened to read a handbill along the Via Appia.............. [font:Comic Sans MS] Ut enim pecuniam dare m! [/font]

Hasn't anyone tried to translate my Latin phrase?

Chris