• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crack-out service

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone else wish that NGC would crack your coins out for you and then re-submit to their graders as a raw coin? I know the risks of this vs sending coins in for a regrade, but I like to do it with select coins. Problem is I hate physical process of cracking out coins myself. It's messing, occasionally dangerous, and I suck at it! I'd be willing to sign a waiver saying I understand my coins my come back graded lower or even body-bagged. Seems like a profitable service for NGC, even something they might do for free considering you're paying the full grading fee to send the coins through the process as a raw coin.

It's called "regrade" and all the TPG offer this.

Yes but we all know if you crack a coin out you are likely to get a different grade than if you left it in the holder. Not to say this is true all the time, but it can and does happen. Nature of the beast.

Whenever I decide to submit a coin because I think the grade is far too low, I always leave it in the holder and allow the TPG to crack the coin out instead of me. My success rate is something like 80% upgrades when I do this.