• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you care about endorsements?

9 posts in this topic

Before you answer, do you prefer Nike or Walmart shoe brand? Would buy a football endorsed by Joe Montana or Joe Smoe. Why do Nascar, NBA, NFL have endorsements?

Coke or Pepsi

Nike or Addidas

ANA or PNG

PCGS or NGC

does it matter anymore?

TRUTH

Some of those are brand names v. non-brand names, rather than endorsements.

I know Nike makes good shoes. I don't know that about Wal-Mart.

I'd assume that Joe Montana knows something about footballs and wouldn't put his name on an awful one. Joe Smoe?

I couldn't care less which athlete prefers Coke v. Pepsi. That's a decision I can make based on what I know I like.

I'd also buy the Wal-Mart shoes if they felt better than the Nikes or I thought they were a better value.

As for the value added to NGC by having the PNG logo? confused-smiley-013.gif Who knows. I'm sure it is more of an advertising tool than anything else. Lots of PR, a bunch of guaranteed submissions from the PNG dealers - who will probably submit more coins than they are given free submissions for, and the chance to poke their competition.

I wouldn't send a coin to them just because they are the official grading service and I wouldn't not send one to another service because they aren't. Would anyone? Probably not.

Some of those are brand names v. non-brand names, rather than endorsements.

I know Nike makes good shoes. I don't know that about Wal-Mart.

I'd assume that Joe Montana knows something about footballs and wouldn't put his name on an awful one. Joe Smoe?

I couldn't care less which athlete prefers Coke v. Pepsi. That's a decision I can make based on what I know I like.

I'd also buy the Wal-Mart shoes if they felt better than the Nikes or I thought they were a better value.

As for the value added to NGC by having the PNG logo? confused-smiley-013.gif Who knows. I'm sure it is more of an advertising tool than anything else. Lots of PR, a bunch of guaranteed submissions from the PNG dealers - who will probably submit more coins than they are given free submissions for, and the chance to poke their competition.

I wouldn't send a coin to them just because they are the official grading service and I wouldn't not send one to another service because they aren't. Would anyone? Probably not.

thumbsup2.gif

I've been told here recently that there is some sort of logo on PCGS slabs relating to the PNG. I have many PCGS slabs and I've never really noticed this. In fact, I could care less siince it is the COIN that I'm interested in and not the holder.

Endorsements? Bah!

jom

I've been told here recently that there is some sort of logo on PCGS slabs relating to the PNG. I have many PCGS slabs and I've never really noticed this. In fact, I could care less siince it is the COIN that I'm interested in and not the holder.

Until yesterday, I wasn't even really aware that PCG$ used to be the grading service of the PNG.

Well, I know now and still don't care. 27_laughing.gif

Why can't people be happy just collecting coins and not PCGS "product"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Until yesterday, I wasn't even really aware that PCG$ used to be the grading service of the PNG.

Ditto popcorn.gif

Ditto

Ditto

I am happy for NGC that they won the bid for it---but it changes very little for most of us who are just "recreational collectors/buyers".

Do I care about endorsements? No---and I'll go a step further to rant and "shake my finger" toward my favorite sport and pasttime: GOLF.

If ever there was too much endorsements going on, it is with this sport in the semi-pro and pro tours! From the Nationwide Tour, LPGA, PGA, Champions Tour, and every different world tour, there isn't a single player that doesn't seem plastered from head to foot (literally) with logos declaring for all the viewers to see who is sponsoring whom. These same sponsors pay the pro with money/equipment to wear their logo as a return on their investment. If it were up to me (if I was the head of the USGA), I would make it against the rules for anyone in the top 125 on the money list to wear anything with a logo. They are making hundreds of thousands/millions and don't need to show the stupid thing! sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif

JMHO

David;)

Endorsements don't do a thing for me at all. Brand names do matter because once you have established one, most manufacturers try to maintain quality standards.

Unlike some products, an experienced grader can judge the quality of coin from seeing it. Therefore, even when a coin is in a slab, one can tell if it is "way off."

Sill NGC, PCGS and ANACS have most market clout. There are good coins in "off brand" holders, and in some cases the coins are properly graded. Still get a good price one has to "cross" them.

As for the ANA and PNG endorsements, sorry, but I could care less. 893whatthe.gif