• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can any one grade this silver dollar?

38 posts in this topic

Sure, anyone can grade any coin. The trick is to get others to agree with what you grade it.

I still prefer my granddaughter's grading scale. It consists of 3 total grades---pretty, ugly, and YUCK.

I still prefer my granddaughter's grading scale. It consists of 3 total grades---pretty, ugly, and YUCK.

She should add one more grade to the scenario......Pretty, Ugly, Eek and Yuck.

Then you would have a grading scale consisting of.......PUEY!

Chris

Yes, someone can and has - PR58, most recently, I believe.

A pr 58 Mark :signfunny: I really have seen better examples of a PR45 (but I am not credible)

However TPG do not use magnification the luster and eye appeal are outstanding?

Never mind the details..

If I owned this coin I would send it back for the guarantee program. If it was deemed over-graded I would ask to return the coin in proper grade and keep the change....

Yes, someone can and has - PR58, most recently, I believe.

A pr 58 Mark :signfunny: I really have seen better examples of a PR45 (but I am not credible)

However TPG do not use magnification the luster and eye appeal are outstanding?

Never mind the details..

If I owned this coin I would send it back for the guarantee program. If it was deemed over-graded I would ask to return the coin in proper grade and keep the change....

In that case, please post a SINGLE PR45 example that you think is better.

I'll even make it easier for you, by not requesting that it be another Proof Bust Dollar, which would be a far more valid comparison than anything you will otherwise be able to come up with.

And, by the way, what is your experience and expertise in grading Bust Dollars, including Proof's?

And, by the way, what is your experience and expertise in grading Bust Dollars, including Proof's?

Hairlined and overgraded Roosevelt dimes.

He's probably just trying to continue his rant against PCGS by sneaking in the back door. I don't think he would have posted this if it wasn't in a PCGS slab.

Chris

1804_Dollar_Carter_Obv.jpg

1804_Dollar_Carter_Rev.jpg

Mark here is a lessen in grading on draped bust dollars. Look at the coin here the back side is called the reverse....We shall grade that side. all knowledgeable coin graders know the weaker graded side holds the grade..

If you obtain the book Photograde by James Ruddy you will see on page 174-5 the photo grades of this coin..

If you will notice on this coin the Motto "E PLURIBUS UNUM" the IBUS UNUM" is completely missing.. To be a F-12 this "motto must be present but can be weak".

Mark: I take it you think the eye appeal and luster carry this coin to a pr58?

I rest my case doh!

Mark: I take it you think the eye appeal are and luster carry this coin to a pr58?

I rest my case doh!

Perhaps you aren't aware of it, but generally, eye-appeal is a much more significant factor for coins graded 60 and higher than it is for those graded less than 60. And if you think you can determine the amount of luster on that coin based on those images, you should rest a lot more than your case. I have seen the coin in person - have you?

You seem to know a little bit about the basics of coins, and like to repeat buzz words. But I get the impression that you don't know nearly as much as you would like or pretend to.

And for those who don't already know, it is in a PCGS PR58 holder, having once been graded 45 by PCGS and 50 by NGC. If I remember correctly, the last time I saw it, I thought it deserved a 50 or 53.

grade_it, do you realize that Mark Feld used to grade for NGC, and can grade the pants off anyone on these boards? Especially you.

Now, Jason, don't you know that he took an ANA course one summer and knows everything there is to know about grading?

Jason! Can you help me up, buddy? I just fell out of my chair laughing so hard.

.......and he is one of the most highly respected dealers anywhere!

Chris

grade_it, do you realize that Mark Feld used to grade for NGC, and can grade the pants off anyone on these boards? Especially you.
I for one... want to go on record as saying.... I do not want Mark to grade the pants off me!!!

Ok... let's move on now... I think some of this can easily get taken care of in PM fashion. Don't you?

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I have decided not to reply to that poster any more (unless or until he moves on from his apparent agenda) and encourage others to do the same.

the > 1% write again They want you to believe this is a PR58 and correctly graded

You're right! I'm one of the verbal minority, but the silent majority have better things to do than waste their time on your anti-PCGS tirades.

If you don't like PCGS, don't buy their products!

If you don't like PCGS, submit to another TPGS!

If you don't like PCGS, complain to PCGS!

If you don't like PCGS, keep it to yourself on these forums!

Chris

Now, Jason, don't you know that he took an ANA course one summer and knows everything there is to know about grading?

Jason! Can you help me up, buddy? I just fell out of my chair laughing so hard.

.......and he is one of the most highly respected dealers anywhere!

Chris

But by his own admission, he is not credible ;)

I for one... want to go on record as saying.... I do not want Mark to grade the pants off me!!!

Ok... let's move on now... I think some of this can easily get taken care of in PM fashion. Don't you?

I think we all don't want to see your pants graded off either 109.gif

I think we all don't want to see your pants graded off either 109.gif

Must this forum be so negative I merely posted a coin with great photos to grade and am attacked personalty for this?

We are a coin related forum and negative comments by the gang are detracting, those of us who are seeking knowledge. If you have complaints about the TPG then take it to the appropriate place, not here..

:gossip:

AU-58 - (Very Choice About Uncirculated) - The barest trace of wear may be seen on one or more of the high points of the design. No major detracting contact marks will be present and the coin will have attractive eye appeal and nearly full luster, often with the appearance of a higher grade.

AU-55 - (Choice About Uncirculated) - Only small traces of wear are visible on the highest points of the coin.

AU-50 - (About Uncirculated) - With traces of wear on nearly all of the highest areas. At least half of the original mint luster is present.

EF-45 - (Choice Extremely Fine) - With light overall wear on the coin's highest points. All design details are very sharp. Mint luster is usually seen only in protected areas of the coin's surface.

EF-40 - (Extremely Fine) - With only slight wear but more extensive than the preceding, still with excellent overall sharpness. Traces of mint luster may still show.

VF-30 - (Choice Very Fine) - With light even wear on the surface; design details on the highest points lightly worn, but with all lettering and major features sharp.

VF-20 - (Very Fine) - As with VF-30 but with moderate wear on the higher surface features.

I believe I have made my point here and I shall not reply to any off topic undocumented slander posted by the disruptive oral extreme minority gang ....

Now, he's going to tell us he's a lawyer! You'd better learn the definition of slander.

Chris - one of the vocal minority!

If you have complaints about the TPG then take it to the appropriate place, not here..

Correctomundo! You should have taken your complaints to PCGS.

Chris

Guys I gotta say, I don't like the PR58 on this one either, and I doubt seeing it in hand would change my mind. And I don't have Mark's experience in grading, but that reverse is no 58 IMHO and no amount of luster will make it so. I like PR45 for this one, and that is no expert opinion to be sure.

Mark is there a reason why the reverse is looking so worn on these 1804's? Is this possibly a strike issue instead of wear? That could reconcile the issues here maybe?

Mark I remain confused. I showed the boards a lovely MS64 large cent a month ago and got hammered on technical grade and alleged AT toning (which I still deem unlikely until I have quantifiable evidence I am working on), yet you now say eye appeal is key on grading for the present example in this thread. IMHO, and apparently for PCGS, eye appeal was very important in crediting that large cent with a 64, and I would say 65 based on eye appeal and surfaces in hand, and you say it was important for this 1804, yet, you still said I had a problem coin based on technical grade because of the obverse having poorly mixed alloy which I deemed to enhance the large cent and make it unique in some ways. I found nothing in the PCGS grading guide book that notes that coarse wood grain detracts from the grade. One does find however by any grading guide that a reverse such as the one on this 1804 clearly reduces the grade. So which is it that makes the grade, technical, or eye appeal, or a combination? It would be useful to get your thought on this and thanks.