• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really special mint set Lincoln. Thanks guys.

10 posts in this topic

Thanks Tom. Yes it was. I was lucky enough to find a few sets that were extremely nice. That same set yielded a MS68 Cam half as well, and the batch yielded a few DDO's that I had been looking for. Likely the best $100 I've spent this year. I'm don't collect the Lincoln's, but I always hoped to holder one in cam. The 66 seems the easiest of the SMS Lincolns, but still it was fun seeing one in the wild. grin.gif

Great find Don! cool.gif I know I have not looked at as many SMS sets as you have, but I've certainly looked at hundreds and have yet to find a coin that would get the CAM designation. frown.gif

Hoot

Thanks all. As a follow-up, I took a break this afternoon from work and met with Jim Dimmick (JDimmick on the PCGS boards) at the local shop. Jim is a good collector, and has a pretty sharp eye. I wanted him to meet the proprietor, as I think they'll have lots of future business in common, and I'd like to see the shop do well. I showed my buddy at the shop one of the halves from the sets I bought in an NGC holder. He said it was nice, but asked about this penny. Geez, it's been 6 weeks since I bought it, and he still remembered it. laugh.gif I told him it had holdered. He asked how well, and I showed it to him. I think I might have converted him to moderns. He's a good guy, and I promised to spend most of the proceeds in his shop. He wasn't too upset. He did let Jim and I look at his 1795 two-leaf, his 1798 and several other early dollars. As a bonus, he showed us an 1851 Lg.Cent that I would conservatively estimate MS66 BN. It was STUNNING. Perfectly centered and struck full, with smooth chocolate surfaces. It will be holdered, and is not for sale till then. Quite a day, all in all. When I spend some of my proceeds and don't feel so guilty, I'll ask him to let me take a pic of a few to share. wink.gif