• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to "crackout"?

15 posts in this topic

I am working on my 7070 and one of the sets I am putting in it for the bicentennials is the silver version and it is still in the mint sealed capsules. I almost cut my finger off trying to pry them open so wondered the best way to get them out of there.

I know I read on here somewhere about heating up a knife and working around the edge, but can't find the post again.

Same question for the plastic mint proof sets? Thanks,

When I opened my capsules for my 7070, I found the best way was to have the capsule on it's edge, put a knife in the tiny gap, and tap the knife until it started separating.

Tap lightly as not to damage the coin. It might take a minute or two, but you don't want a damaged coin.

Those 3-piece proof mint sets are a bugger because they are so small and cannot be twisted to pop them open after tapping around the rim with a small hammer. (stood on edge, put a rag over the holder, tap along the joint, turn, tap, etc.) The sound will change when it's ready to open. Be careful coins do not fly all over the place getting the clam shells apart...good luck.

Your Momma didn't teach you anything about running with a scissors or prying with a knife? :baiting:;)

PCGS had a youtube video on the site how to do this.

this video had the wire cutters at the end but has been cut...I would guess that wire cutter method could be deemed dangerous and they could be sued if you needed a coin injury doctor..

pcgs video over kill and dangerous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf6nyVmuHvg Is he making a half dime is that my next submission? basic technique replace bolt cutters with below

Use a pair of wire cutters the kind with wide knife blades.

Cut each long side of the holder in the middle. Positioning the cutters so they cut in around 1/2 inch from the outside.

So can you please explain how this process is dangerous.

I have been doing it this way for years and never hurt or damaged a coin.

I am working on my 7070 and one of the sets I am putting in it for the bicentennials is the silver version and it is still in the mint sealed capsules. I almost cut my finger off trying to pry them open so wondered the best way to get them out of there.

I know I read on here somewhere about heating up a knife and working around the edge, but can't find the post again.

Same question for the plastic mint proof sets? Thanks,

My experience with cracking PCGS and NGC slabs is to take a small pair of pliers and grab either corner at the top of the holder. While holding on to the bottom with your other hand, give a good, hard twist until the seal on the edge pops and cracks.

The holder will open right up.

I did not like the bare handed ripping of the slab from the fractured slab. Would seem this would a good way to be cut by the sharp plastic edges ripping the rest of the slab apart.

But I am not credible.

My observation are sometimes flawed?..

I feel like I am being immediately replied to by a very few posters. They try and derail the post with personal attracts. Fact or Flawed??

Thanks for all the replies and links. Although it's all good information, none of it helps me with the little round capsules from the mint, they are about 1/8 inch larger than the coins so using any wire cutters would cut the coin. A hammer may work, but most likely would end up in denting the coin.

I will try the hammer against knife edge method, need one more hand though...

I did not like the bare handed ripping of the slab from the fractured slab. Would seem this would a good way to be cut by the sharp plastic edges ripping the rest of the slab apart.

But I am not credible.

My observation are sometimes flawed?..

I feel like I am being immediately replied to by a very few posters. They try and derail the post with personal attracts. Fact or Flawed??

You criticized my video and when I ask you a simple question....everyone is attacking you!! (shrug)

Thanks for all the replies and links. Although it's all good information, none of it helps me with the little round capsules from the mint, they are about 1/8 inch larger than the coins so using any wire cutters would cut the coin. A hammer may work, but most likely would end up in denting the coin.

The knife method really works the best. Of course my wife can just use her nails to open them for me.

The knife method really works the best. Of course my wife can just use her nails to open them for me.

worked like a charm once I figured how to hold the coin with plyers rather than my fingers :makepoint:

Sorry Schatzy I just call it like I see it ...Concerned that other might not be so lucky as you, referring to your video.. ... they being cut by sharp plastic using bare hands

There are better ways which I detailed. If I was off base for my observation I apologize ...

She the bionic woman? Bionic nails? :roflmao: