• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Potential???

24 posts in this topic

5 years ago, it might have had a VERY slim chance of getting a *.

NGC's standards have tightened up considerably in regards to giving out stars. It's a fine coin, but I don't believe it would star.

I don't believe it has a chance but the consistency with which the star is awarded means that coins not worthy will get stars and coins that should be locks will not get them.....it's a coin toss most of the time.

That is a surprise that that coin received a star designation; it's worse than the spots on my quarter. Nevertheless, I strongly suspect that the Teletrade coin may look better in hand.

I strongly suspect NGC's wildly inconsistent Star rating has struck again.

That is a surprise that that coin received a star designation; it's worse than the spots on my quarter. Nevertheless, I strongly suspect that the Teletrade coin may look better in hand.

I strongly suspect NGC's wildly inconsistent Star rating has struck again.

Teletrade has lousy pictures , the coin may be a monster in hand .

I do not think the NGC star rating is wildly inconsistent.

Teletrade's pictures are not nearly as bad as everyone seems to think they are. And, I buy enough coins from TT to be able to interpret them pretty well. That coin is a spotty mess, and the reverse is a dark splotchy nightmare. No way that coin deserves a star.

So, I disagree - the star rating is often applied to coins which a large number of us would say don't deserve it. And the star is also quite often refused to no brainer coins which do deserve it. See, for example, the 1963 MS-65FBL Franklin in my Registry set, which NGC declined to award a star.

Yea, what Jason said... and all the coins in my collection deserve stars too.... they are all definitely no brainers!!

And, as soon as Jason and I raise enough money to overthrow NGC we can straighten all this out!!

Ok, so NGC misses some and they grant stars to some that don't deserve it. They also call some 64's 65's and vice versa.... Do we expect them to be perfect? I don't. Plus, I think a lot of the time, we are particular to our own coins and we think they are more special.

NGC, thanks for what you do for us. We know you try, but we also know you won't be perfect.

I'm with the consensus, unworthy of a " Star " designation . The coin just doesn't have that vibrant , dancing in your head toning. That is not to say, that some hard core " Toning " enthusiasts won't appreciate it's character .

Teletrade's pictures are not nearly as bad as everyone seems to think they are. And, I buy enough coins from TT to be able to interpret them pretty well. That coin is a spotty mess, and the reverse is a dark splotchy nightmare. No way that coin deserves a star.

So, I disagree - the star rating is often applied to coins which a large number of us would say don't deserve it. And the star is also quite often refused to no brainer coins which do deserve it. See, for example, the 1963 MS-65FBL Franklin in my Registry set, which NGC declined to award a star.

Teletrade pictures suck , they are probably the worst out of all the major Auction Houses. If you want to change the way NGC designates a star then apply for a job and make sure you take all the others you mentioned along with you . :grin:

People will disagree on the Star designation just like they do with a grade. If we all agreed on everything the hobby would be very boring. As for my opinion on the coin that Filthy posted – from the Teletrade Photo I would not give the coin a star however my bet is it looks a lot better in hand.