• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monitor #2 for my CWT collection......pic inside

11 posts in this topic

got this today. I saw this in hand at Balt. last week and was the one I went back to get and Bret was gone! The color is really not that vibrant as in the pic.

784750015.jpg

and here is last week's purchase at the show once again.

784750012.jpg

As I said in an earlier post I was going to try and assemble a set of all 11? monitors in Gem. I am going to change that a tad and say I am going to try and assemble a set of them in Mint State with some eye appeal.

Hi Goose,

Those are really neat.....Too bad there's always only so much money to go around...That's one more series that could suck me in.....

Stop this goose! First on the CU boards now here! Not fair, not fair... sorry.gif

Hoot

I've almost got you hooked Hoot!!! devil.gif

They're really neat, goose. smile.gif Is this collection something that you might put in a Capital Plastics holder someday in order to display?

Of course, I never thought to even look to see if they are already slabbed, are they? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

they are NGC slabbed but some sort of custom holder would really be a neat thing somewhere down the road when I get most of them!

My CWT and political token collection is in 6 or 7 Eagle holder albums. These are the pages with 20, 2X2 slots per page. Each group as a sign for the topic or the presidential candidate or campaign that is covered. (Sample page attached.)

I used custom Capital Plastics holders for many years. Capital was great about drilling the holes to my sizes and spacing the lettering to say exactly what I wanted. The trouble with them is that multiple hole holders often have holes that are the wrong size. And Capital holders simply don't work for small, thin coins like silver three cent pieces, half dimes and gold dollars. There is not enough coin there to set in the space so that the coins will not rattle. Capital is also expensive. A custom 3X3 costs $10 a piece when I was using them, and you need to buy the felt pouches to prevent the holders from getting scratched.

Storeage is always an issue, but for me Eagle holders worked the best.

433149-SamplePage.JPG.ecc7252142d55a61051e44cee450ae49.JPG

That's pretty cool the way you have that set up, Bill. I also feel your pain about the Capital Plastics holders. One of my biggest concerns with them was that I don't always like the colors available. 893frustrated.gif

The Civil War tokens were used as replacements for regular U.S. coinage for most of the Civil War. Usually they took the place of cents, but other denominations were sometimes indicated on the pieces. Most of the higher denomination Civil War Tokens are very scarce to rare.

During the Civil War all U.S. coins were withdrawn from circulation and hoarded. The gold and silver coins, which were withdrawn first, were traded at amounts in excess of their face value in terms of the Union issued paper money, which were called “greenbacks.” For illogical reasons, even the U.S. cents were hoarded, and some merchants were willing to pay small premiums for them.

Merchants, local governments and even the Union government issued paper -script (Postage Currency and Fractional Currency) which was used in place of coins. Postage stamps were also used in raw form and as encased postage and as stamps in small envelopes with the face value of the stamps marked on them. Still the Civil War token seems to have been the most popular choice.

In 1864 the Union government outlawed the use the use of Civil War tokens because of instances were issuing merchants refused to redeem them and other abuses. In their place the government made a concerted effort to issue large numbers of cents plus the Two Cent piece and the Nickel Three Cent piece was introduced to relieve the coin shortage.

Collectors divide Civil War tokens into two broad groups. The patriotic tokens cannot be attributed to a specific merchant and are denoted by two numbers for the obverse and reverse dies plus a metallic composition code. The merchant store cards can be attributed to specific merchants and localities. Their numbering system includes a state code, a town code and then letters and numbers for the individual merchants, varieties and metal composition.