• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned vs. FT Roosevelts

Toned vs. FT  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Toned vs. FT

11 posts in this topic

Roosie Enthusiasts,

There has been a lot of discussion over the past 1-2 years about what is more important in regards to collecting Roosies. Some say give me the color and the NGC star designation and others argue that a FT is more difficult to find and worth significantly more $$$.

As a toned coin lover I will take the color all day long over a FT coin. Combine the star designation with the FT and you have something special. I'm starting to find that the onlywhite FT coins in demand are those with very low pops which of course are in high grades (67 on up).

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks on this subject. As I recently found out at the Tampa FUN show, people still love their toned coins.

Brian

I fully agree a star FT dime is something special! I love the ones in my set.

I think with this debate you will also have to separate silver dimes from clad ones.

Speaking strictly from a clad perspective, it is very difficult to get a toned clad dime. I feel that it is just a year thing and with time and toning more will appear. I have some very attractive clad toned dimes sitting in an album that already have lots of color. FT clad dimes are very difficult to find. Again, this may be a time factor as millions were made and might be sitting in bank vaults waiting to be discovered. Maybe there are tons, but at this point, who knows. Several years still have yet so see one despite lots of people looking for them, and if those coins pop up at the right time, record prices could be seen for a clad dime. Interesting debate! I will wait to hear others responses.

As you say, Brian, the very special coins have both. Why settle for either one seperately? Although I realize there are some very special Roosies that aren't FT, including a few that you and I and Bill, and others have, filling a set with beautifully toned high grade FT coins is the ultimate. But I can see how a collector can achieve great fulfillment going after only toners with no regard for FT. Adding the FT element just limits the supply further, increases the rarity, and value.

I don't know about you guys, but for me the toning makes each coin truly unique, and when included with the grade, is just another factor I use in deciding whether or not a coin fits in my collection. Non FT Roosies definitely have a place in my collection, but they have to be very special.

Roosie Enthusiasts,

There has been a lot of discussion over the past 1-2 years about what is more important in regards to collecting Roosies. Some say give me the color and the NGC star designation and others argue that a FT is more difficult to find and worth significantly more $$$.

As a toned coin lover I will take the color all day long over a FT coin. Combine the star designation with the FT and you have something special. I'm starting to find that the onlywhite FT coins in demand are those with very low pops which of course are in high grades (67 on up).

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks on this subject. As I recently found out at the Tampa FUN show, people still love their toned coins.

Brian

It depends on your definition of "rainbow" tone, and I have seen several such coins offered in the past that are not truly rainbow toned. Also, toning varies so often and there are too many variables to consider. I have seen some toned coins in star holders that are not that attractive in my opinion and these are supposed to best of the series for eye appeal.

Back to your original question, I think that I would prefer a nicely toned Roosevelt (the top 10-15% of star designated coins) over the average full torch white Roosevelt (even though I have more of the latter). As everyone else has indicated a stellar toned Roosie may take the place of a white FT coin, but it needs to be exceptionally special. I have been looking at the top 5 silver Roosevelt sets and it appears that most of them are probably in those sets.

I always prefer attractively toned coins with the FT. That being said, I think super grade FT coins are much harder to find whereas attractively toned coins not so much.

Biggest issue with the * star designation is the consistency in which the coin is awarded the designation. They can run from snow white to 100% completely toned on both the obverse and reverse. I've had a couple of white coins with the * designation, and based on superior eye appeal, they definitely deserved it.

"Non FT Roosies definitely have a place in my collection, but they have to be very special."

-- These special coins usually are 68* rainbow coins. Finding coins that make this grade is very, very tough.

-- I'll be honest, most of the coins NGC and PCGS designate as FB/FT don't meet my expectation of a fully struck coin. This may be heresy, but I see too much money spent for plastic that "says" FT with a flat band coin inside the slab.

Yes, I realize I'm in the minority! rantrant

"Non FT Roosies definitely have a place in my collection, but they have to be very special."

-- These special coins usually are 68* rainbow coins. Finding coins that make this grade is very, very tough.

-- I'll be honest, most of the coins NGC and PCGS designate as FB/FT don't meet my expectation of a fully struck coin. This may be heresy, but I see too much money spent for plastic that "says" FT with a flat band coin inside the slab.

Yes, I realize I'm in the minority! rantrant

I agree with you, and I have seen several coins of the Mercury Dime series where this also applies. If it's not flatness, it's a huge tick or two that should preclude the FT/FB designation. The old maxim about buying the coin and not the holder prevails again.

P.S. I don't have a population report in front of me, but how long do you all think it will be before a MS69 FT, MS69*, or MS69*FT will arrive (not only in existence but on the market as well)?

Answering your question in regards to an MS69 coin. I think it will be this year or next but of course this is only a guess. Keep an eye on that population report and you will see that a 68+ coin was recently made. There is definitely one out there, it's just a matter of someone finding it.

As for being on the market I would be surprised if any of the top Roosie collectors would sell it. A 69 coin would be unbelieveable! I know if I were to get one it would take a lot of $$$ to pry it away from my hands/set.

The hunt continues.

Brian

NGC has graded 2 silver Roosevelt dimes MS69. The 46P graded MS69*. I use to own this coin and it is what I would classify as a pure MS69. It's a beautiful coin that is in private hands and has been off the market for many years now. I have seen a coin or 2 that deserve the MS68+ grade, but another MS69 being graded anytime soon, I don't know.

NGC has also graded a 52S MS69. That coin is available today. It was in the Just Having Fun auction a couple years ago but did not hit reserve.

I personally have owned and/or closely examined quite a few 1949 Roosies over the past 30+ years and have not seen very many that were rainbow toned especially not 1949-S dimes. Most of the rainbow toned Roosies that used to be found with some frequency were mostly coins from the mid-1950's or later. I believe that I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of 1949-D or S coins that I have seen in slabs that were rainbow toned and MS66 or above. Most that I have owned were monotoned or nearly so, usually light gray, gold, carmine, green or blue from the sulphur compounds in the mint set packaging (Pliofilm).