• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My FUN (w/newp pic)

12 posts in this topic

Not to be confused with Chinese rice noodles, although more on that later.

Those looking for profound market observations (and those have have already read this ATS) need not read further. Quick trip for me. Flew in Thursday, 1:00 pm arrival time, then picked up my Super Shuttle and shared a ride to the Convention Center with Abraham Lincoln. Got there by 2 (WIN!) and met Mike Hayes to drop some coins off, lightening my backpack to about 30 pounds. It didn't take me long to meet up with a bunch of other VAM collectors, drop off my pack so I could move, and put in my contact lenses so I could see. I then wandered around looking at Morgan dollars when I could and looking for commems that would fit in my set. Sidetracked myself quickly when I stopped at the CRO table and looked at their pile of Fugios, which reminded me that there were lots of colonials in the Heritage auction, and that I still hadn't lived up to my own "everyone needs a Fugio" advice, so then I went to view lots until about 6, at which time the VAM guys started assembling for a dinner outing to the Howard Johnson's restaurant. Good location for passing around coins during dinner as it wasn't crowded, the service was horribly slow, and they didn't mind turning the lights on for us. The food was meh.

Friday was a busy day off the bourse for me. SSDC board meeting at 8:30 next door to the 9:00 LSCC meeting. They had the mics for both rooms connected to the same collection of speakers (or perhaps each others speakers), so we were a bit surprised to be welcomed to their meeting (facilities FAIL). After that meeting, I made my only purchase for the show, a nice Isabella quarter that fits in with my set. 11:15 was my photography presentation. As I was up against the PCGS lunch, I might not have had as big of an audience as otherwise, but still a couple dozen people, and I thought it went fairly well. I wore my Hawaiian shirt in case those that skipped the lunch for me would have missed a speaker so dressed, although it seemed there were a lot of Hawaiian shirts to be seen at the show. David Lisot videotaped all the educational seminars, and they'll all available for purchase somehow (coinlink.com, I think).

Now back to the Chinese rice noodles. There was an Asian food concessionaire set up near the typical convention food. By 2:00 I was feeling a bit peckish, so I decided a snack was in order, braced myself to have to part with upwards of $10 for something to eat, and was rather astonished that I could buy a half-way decent plate of noodles (OK, they weren't rice noodles) for $2. Gave me the energy I needed to go pan for gold (unsuccesfully) near the budget area, which had been exiled to the far reaches of the floor, so as not to disturb the non-budget people, I guess. 3:30 I went to John Roberts' (ANACS' attributor) "11 VAMs for 2011" presentation, which was followed at 4:30 by VAM Thing VIII, which always has a good turnout. The big news for 2011 is going to be the launch of the SSDC VAM Registry. Later, dinner with some VAM guys at Royal Palace Thai restaurant, down the road a few blocks from Bern's. Quite tasty.

Concurrent with FUN was a motorcycle club convention. On the way back to my hotel, someone riding a rather nice sport bike wiped out for no apparent reason right in front of us. Minor damage to the bike, and the rider was banged up, but able to walk it off. He and others with him were apparently on their way to my hotel, because the lobby of the Hyatt was full of motorcycle clubs (or perhaps more accurately, "clubz"). Placed some futile Heritage bids and watched Gold Rush on Discovery channel for far too long, as my 6:30 am flight home meant an obscenely early wake-up time.

As for my lone purchase:

isabella.jpg

Nice original quarter, I like it! Sounds like you had a good time. I wanted to go to the photography seminar, but got caught up doing other things. I wanted to go to the BHNC meeting too, but again.... Seemed like there was too much to do at this show!

Nice Isabella, John!

Since I was only there on Saturday, I missed both your seminar and VAM Thing. Can you tell us more about the Registry? Was there any discussion about the future of attributions if, God forbid, Leroy is unable to continue?

Thanks!

Chris

Isabella is a PCGS 63. The hammered strike, and very clean reverse makes up for the scuffs on the obverse.

The SSDC Registry will be rolled out to members gradually, as there is still some testing to do with general participants. We need to minimize the number of people we frustrate with growing pains at first. The competitive set composition will be determined by the SSDC, although non-competitive "make your own set" sets will be available as well. At first, I think we're going to limit coins to those that have databases we can use for verification (PCGS, NGC, my attribution service), but we will be expanding it to include ANACS, SEGS, ICG, and raw coins. We hope the honor system works well when it comes to raw coins, but plan on having a provision for a set to be challenged. Details of various roll-out phases will come in the VAM-E newsletter.

The future of attributions is entirely up to Leroy and his heirs until such time as he notifies the SSDC otherwise. The SSDC has no option, legally, ethically, or morally, but to respect that.

Isabella is a PCGS 63. The hammered strike, and very clean reverse makes up for the scuffs on the obverse.

The SSDC Registry will be rolled out to members gradually, as there is still some testing to do with general participants. We need to minimize the number of people we frustrate with growing pains at first. The competitive set composition will be determined by the SSDC, although non-competitive "make your own set" sets will be available as well. At first, I think we're going to limit coins to those that have databases we can use for verification (PCGS, NGC, my attribution service), but we will be expanding it to include ANACS, SEGS, ICG, and raw coins. We hope the honor system works well when it comes to raw coins, but plan on having a provision for a set to be challenged. Details of various roll-out phases will come in the VAM-E newsletter.

The future of attributions is entirely up to Leroy and his heirs until such time as he notifies the SSDC otherwise. The SSDC has no option, legally, ethically, or morally, but to respect that.

Thanks, John!

If I were interested in anything, it would be the non-competitive sets, and this raises another question that I hope you guys will consider. Within the non-competitive sets, will we be permitted to enter multiples, raw and/or slabbed, of any one VAM?

Chris

I don't know off hand if the sets are set up to allow more than one coin per VAM, but if it's something you (and others) want and is currently not supported, we'll try to make it happen. I know that some people are putting together grading sets of specific VAMs, and it would be neat for them to be able to share this with others through the registry.

I don't know off hand if the sets are set up to allow more than one coin per VAM, but if it's something you (and others) want and is currently not supported, we'll try to make it happen. I know that some people are putting together grading sets of specific VAMs, and it would be neat for them to be able to share this with others through the registry.

Yeah, a die progression is kind of what I had in mind.

Chris

Thanks again, John.

The coins are safely back in the bank.

I have not down loaded the new images yet

but I think I'll slowly release them - as they

are fantastic - and want as many people as

possible to view them on the Barber Mega

Thread here [ & ATS ] .

The 8x10 Color Glossies are breathtaking

and I'm so very grateful to you in assisting

me with the small hic-ups I was having posting

images - and thank you for the lead to getting

my images developed.

I also like the Isabella you posted... nice coin !!