• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 How stupid do you think I am.. Let's keep this one going.

10 posts in this topic

It's 2011.. I just had a nephew buy a 3bd 2ba home foreclosure for a investment rental in Port Charlotte Fla, it was built in 2007, has 2200sqft and a pool for $40k..

Now I want for everyone if they would add to this thread if you find a coin that you would buy like this one or if you have some common sense in investing your money the correct way..

Don't get me wrong, this coin might be worth 100k, and many of you have money to burn, but, $37k for a Ike dollar that some fool that was drinking at the mint or sleeping that didn't see this coin come through and thus let another person try to make a winfall off of it.. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Please keep it going with outrageous coin prices while searching if your would.. By the way Happy New Year. George

http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-S-Double-Struck-Proof-Ike-PCGS-PR64DCAM-/120611735082?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1c1505062a

Another coin forum which I won't identify rarely has a week go by without new collectors just entering the hobby joining and wanting to know the best coins to buy as an investment. They often get responses such as "buy silver bullion like Maple Leafs, Kooks & Pandas" or "search bank rolls for 40% & 90% silver" while others tell them "coin collecting is a hobby". Me? I tell them if they want a good investment vehicle they should buy real estate.

It's a similar situation with playing pool. Over a forty year span, I've had thousands of people in their 30's & 40's who have been playing pool for 10 or more years ask me how they can improve their game. In most instances, I tell them, "You can't! If you haven't acquired the ability by now, you never will."

Some people will never learn that there is no magical formula for success. It takes years of study and hands-on experience, but that is why there are sellers like this one.

Chris

but, $37k for a Ike dollar that some fool that was drinking at the mint or sleeping that didn't see this coin come through

There is a fair chance that it was deliberate. It comes from a time period when a lot of proof "errors" were being deliberately made and smuggled out of the mint.

but, $37k for a Ike dollar that some fool that was drinking at the mint or sleeping that didn't see this coin come through

There is a fair chance that it was deliberate. It comes from a time period when a lot of proof "errors" were being deliberately made and smuggled out of the mint.

Yes, there were a number 1973 Proof Ike dollars that were deliberately made that got out of the mint that year. I remember at a meeting of New Jersey Numismatic Society during which a member showed slides of a 1973 Proof Ike dollar struck on a cent planchet. The error was totally ridiculous, and I thought the time that it had be something that was made deliberately and smuggled out of the mint to sell to collectors. Sure enough a few months later I read where the government had confiscated the “coin” because it had involved mint theft and fraud.

This one is a little different because it is double struck. Still it’s hard to believe that there was not some sort of hank-panky going on because this was a Proof that should have been caught in the inspection process.

Errors are large dollar coins are rare in all cases because the coins are large and easily noticed during inspection. Since this is Proof, that statement caries even more weight. I guess the government won’t bother the owner given that this piece is now 37 years old, but I still would not want to have my money tied up in it.

After all those deliberate errors were created the government came up with one standard for proof errors. If it was something that would fit inside the regular packaging they would consider it to possibly a legitimate error. If it would not fit in the holder than they consider it to have probably left the mint by shall we say unofficial methods and be subject to confiscation.

Yes, there were a number 1973 Proof Ike dollars that were deliberately made that got out of the mint that year. I remember at a meeting of New Jersey Numismatic Society during which a member showed slides of a 1973 Proof Ike dollar struck on a cent planchet. The error was totally ridiculous, and I thought the time that it had be something that was made deliberately and smuggled out of the mint to sell to collectors. Sure enough a few months later I read where the government had confiscated the “coin” because it had involved mint theft and fraud.

This one is a little different because it is double struck. Still it’s hard to believe that there was not some sort of hank-panky going on because this was a Proof that should have been caught in the inspection process.

Errors are large dollar coins are rare in all cases because the coins are large and easily noticed during inspection. Since this is Proof, that statement caries even more weight. I guess the government won’t bother the owner given that this piece is now 37 years old, but I still would not want to have my money tied up in it.

Bill, no way this coin made it out of the mint legally and if you've ever cracked a Proof IKE out of the Government issued plastic, you'd fully understand.

The coin Yaha posted was not only double struck but the 1st strike was a broadstrike. Broadstruck coins are larger than coins struck in collar so this puppy would have never fit into that tight government issued plastic and as such, it would have never sealed for packaging.

IMO, this and the other 1973-S Silver Proof coin Errors were all made to order and smuggled out in the oil pan of a fork lift.

While their legal existance is questionable, certainly their collectibility is not and if I ever win the lottery, I'll add this one to my collection.

It's a similar situation with playing pool. Over a forty year span, I've had thousands of people in their 30's & 40's who have been playing pool for 10 or more years ask me how they can improve their game. In most instances, I tell them, "You can't! If you haven't acquired the ability by now, you never will."

Do you really think this is true Chris ?

I've always thought, 'practice makes perfect', so to speak.....

Paul

Do you really think this is true Chris ?

I've always thought, 'practice makes perfect', so to speak.....

Paul

Practice does make perfect if you already have the natural ability, but the people I'm talking about are just average or a little better than average ability. They've developed bad habits that you will never be able to change because they never learned how to envision in their "mind's eye" how the balls react upon impact and how you can alter the normal motion.

If you look at any of the world champions of the game over the last century, you will find that almost all of them were prodigies of the game by their early teens.

Chris