• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saturday at FUN

7 posts in this topic

I got to meet Charmy for the first time, and I was hoping that she would have some of her personal collection with her. It was understandable that it would have been impractical to tote much of it across the country. Oh, well, she has always posted nice photos here and on other forums. Maybe some other time. All the same, you can thank Charmy for being the impetus for this thread because she said she would look forward to reading it. I told her that I probably wouldn't post anything because I didn't find a single coin or medal that I wanted. But, I decided that it might be beneficial for others who might be faced with the same dilemma. What do you do?

Attending the show was rather a bust for me. I was looking for specific CC Morgan VAM's, and the ones I saw in MS64 or better weren't up to par. This is the first year that I left the show without buying anything. I didn't want to buy something just for the sake of it. You know what they say, "If you aren't happy with it at first, you never will be." Shane made out like a bandit buying toners, mostly on Thursday, but he finally spent the remainder of his cash on Friday. There were plenty of toned Morgans to go around, but to me, they all looked like the same rainbows I've seen so many times. It's a different situation for Shane. He's looking mostly for stuff he can resell on eBay, and I'm looking for my collection.

On Saturday, Shane bought a nice medal as a gift for me. (I'll start a thread about that later.) So, I turned my attention away from Morgans and started looking for medals. I don't really care for "dead emperors" and such, so it made it easier to make my way from table to table. I really like the allegorical themes, but those that I saw were overpriced and the dealers wouldn't come down enough. I guess I got into the French medals at the right time five or six years ago. Then, you could get really nice ones for $50-$100. Now, the dealers want $300 or more.

At the NGC table, Dena, bless her heart, spent practically the entire morning with me on my submissions. I had to rewrite most of them because I had medals mixed with coins, and I used an old form for some others. While I was rewriting, she was computing the fees, and my discounts, and my account credit, and, and, and! When we finally finished, she had to run to set up for the luncheon, so I carried a heavy box for her and she pulled my case on wheels. We had a great time at the luncheon. First, I want to apologize for not remembering the names of everyone at the table. Old age $uck$! Shane, Jason, Carl and I were seated at the same table, but I never had a chance to get any photos. There were two serving lines for the food on opposite sides of the room, and both were extremely long. By the time I got my food to the table, Scott Schechter and Mark Salzberg were ready to proceed with the discussion, and it was being filmed. I don't have the slightest idea why they were filming it. Maybe it will be on uTube!

Anyway, I was still happy to be at the show. It's always worthwhile when you can get together with friends and meet new ones. If only I could remember the name of the man who had the 1878 7TF (7 over 5) VAM-38 (?). Geez, he was seated next to me! I need to see some close-ups!

Chris

Nice report Chris. Did you play any pool with Charmy? Lookin forward to seeing ur new medal. (thumbs u

Unfortunately, the pool table at the Convention Center was out of order. There were no balls. There was no cloth. There was no slate or legs. There were no cues or chalk. As a matter of fact, if you didn't know anything about the game of pool, you would have sworn the table didn't exist.

Chris

PS. I'm getting ready to post the medal in US Coins. I had to do a little research, first.

I bought all the nice coins and left the scraps for Chris :devil:

I did try to make up for it by buying Chris what I thought was a real cool medal in the original presentation box.

Great to see you, Chris. Too bad the show wasn't a success for you.

I said it was a bust. I didn't say it wasn't successful. I was able to submit all of the ANA medals that, heretofore, were not eligible at NGC. I received a very nice gift from Shane. I got to be with friends and meet some new people, and I came home with more money in my wallet than you guys probably did.

Chris

Sorry I missed you Chris. I also noticed the price of nice medals. The prices were way up. Same for the few plaques that were there. Should have brought a few to sell. I didn't buy anything but had a great time just talking with some of the folks from the forums. What a fun group of folks.