• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Stops Bullet Fired At Officer

13 posts in this topic

This happened back in July, I stumbled across this and wanted to share...chalk one up for the good guys!

linked article

if you click on embedded link, it will take you to these images of the challenge coin.

This reminds me of the double eagle that stopped a bullet at Shiloh that saved the life of Captain Dixon. He had it engraved and then carried it with him. He later became the captain of the Confederate submarine Hunley which later sunk. This same coin was later recovered during the archaeological excavation of this submarine.

Perry,

Thanks for the post re: Lt. Dixon and his gold coin, very interesting as is the OP. Here are pics of the $20 gold piece that was found in the sunken submarine of the Confederate Navy. While I do not see any evidence of the effect of a rifle ball hitting tthe coin, the people who salvaged the submarine said that it is bent in accordance with the bullet strike.

Jim

dixon_coin_rev.jpg

realgoldcoinfront.gif

I'll bet the wallet helped alot also seeings how it was a gold coin in there.

The wallet probably did help, and I bet the "coin" is NOT gold.

I'll bet the wallet helped alot also seeings how it was a gold coin in there.

The wallet probably did help, and I bet the "coin" is NOT gold.

It looks like a real 900 fine gold double eagle. What do you think it is if it isn't gold and don't say it's foil covered chocolate? :devil:

Interesting. This coin appears to be slightly deformed, not fully round. Particularly when looking at the reverse. What I find very curious is the flattened area on the Obverse at Liberty's eye. That doesn't look like abrasive wear. If this coin was in a wallet as described and a bullet impacted the wallet and then the coin the flatenning of the impact site and deformation of the coin would be consistent.

An edge view would be very helpful in determining if this coin had in fact stopped a bullet. The edge on view would clearly show if the coin was deformed from an impact. A .900 gold coin would certainly deform much more than any other alloyed coin.

$ilverHawk

Perry,

Thanks for the post re: Lt. Dixon and his gold coin, very interesting as is the OP. Here are pics of the $20 gold piece that was found in the sunken submarine of the Confederate Navy. While I do not see any evidence of the effect of a rifle ball hitting tthe coin, the people who salvaged the submarine said that it is bent in accordance with the bullet strike.

Jim

dixon_coin_rev.jpg

realgoldcoinfront.gif

i remember that, that was pretty incredible

Just so there is no confusion,

sog.png

Challenge coin that stopped bullet in Game Wardens wallet. Brass alloy composition.

hunley2.jpg

Genuine Double Eagle found in the Hunley next to Lt. Dixon’s body.

Reportedly was in his front pocket that stopped a mini-ball from doing

extensive damage.

It looks like a real 900 fine gold double eagle. What do you think it is if it isn't gold and don't say it's foil covered chocolate?

But that isn't the coin that was in the officers wallet. It was some kind of "challenge" coin and is the top coin in the post above this one. The story called it a gold coin, but as WoodenJefferson says it was brass.

It looks like a real 900 fine gold double eagle. What do you think it is if it isn't gold and don't say it's foil covered chocolate?

But that isn't the coin that was in the officers wallet. It was some kind of "challenge" coin and is the top coin in the post above this one. The story called it a gold coin, but as WoodenJefferson says it was brass.

I thought you were talking about the coin found on the Conferate submarine Hunley. I agree that the first coin discussed in this thread was not gold although it may have been gold plated.