• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Sent A Slab To NGC And...

20 posts in this topic

I sent a 1909 S VDB graded AU 58 by ANACS to NGC requesting that it be graded no lower than AU. I find now tha the coin is being returned to me as "Improperly cleaned." Am I wrong to think that they shouldn't have graded/slabbed the coin at all if they couldn't grade it at least AU? I much would rather have my ANACS slab with the coin inside if they couldn't grade it at all.

I'll guess that you'll receive the coin back in its ANACS slab. I recently had a couple ANACS crossover attempts come back as ungradeable and they were still in the slabs that went to NGC.

I hope you are right Mark, it is something I want to put away and keep with my other coins. In retrospect, apparently ANACS grades somewhat differently than other coin grading firms. i rushed the coin to NCG because (1) After 1Jan they wouldn;t accept slabs other than PCGS and, (2) would rather have an NCG slab vs. ANACS.

It's unquestionably possible for problems to become apparent only after a coin is removed from a slab. I don't know if your coin is such a piece.

Was there a reason for crossing the coin over? I'd think that a 1909-S VDB is pretty much the same coin in an ANACS holder or NGC holder at that grade.

Quick story: I once cracked out a classic-head large cent from one of the small ANACS holders, where it was graded F-15. The coin looked easily VF-30+, with a great planchet and outstanding detail. Once out of the holder, that's when I could see that the rim had a humongous knife scratch about 20% around the circumference! The coin had been silently net-graded, and I paid way, way too much for it, having seriously thought it would be an easy sale at VF-30 money. I absolutely got hosed on that piece.

Luckily, most often, the reason for a silent net-grade (such as cleaning) is more apparent than that.

I have a question. If you submit a coin to NGC for a regrade and the coin is already in an NGC holder, for instance NGC MS 63. Do they guarantee that it will come back AT LEAST a MS 63 in its new slab after regrade???

Most people submit regrades in hopes of a higher grade. It would be a low blow for it to come back LOWER.

I sent a 1909 S VDB graded AU 58 by ANACS to NGC requesting that it be graded no lower than AU. I find now tha the coin is being returned to me as "Improperly cleaned." Am I wrong to think that they shouldn't have graded/slabbed the coin at all if they couldn't grade it at least AU? I much would rather have my ANACS slab with the coin inside if they couldn't grade it at all.
You will get the coin back in its ANACS holder. Don't worry.

What you did is a cross, with a minimum grade of AU50. NGC felt it had been cleaned and therefore wouldn't cross it. Not at all unusual.

Enjoy it in its ANACS holder. If you want to unload it some day do it in its ANACS holder.

You could try again and maybe get different results. But it's not worth the grading fee game, IMO. Unless you must have it for a registry set be happy with the opinion the coin got from ANACS. It's every bit as good as NGC's opinion.

Lance.

I have a question. If you submit a coin to NGC for a regrade and the coin is already in an NGC holder, for instance NGC MS 63. Do they guarantee that it will come back AT LEAST a MS 63 in its new slab after regrade???

Most people submit regrades in hopes of a higher grade. It would be a low blow for it to come back LOWER.

I believe NGC handles this the same way PCGS does. Which is to say, they guarantee it will grade no lower. It will be cracked out and a new grade and cert# will be generated.

Rarely, but sometimes, the TPG finds a problem that prevents them, in good conscience, from giving it the same (or higher) grade. In that case their guarantee kicks in. You collect a check for the difference in value, along with your coin in a lower grade holder. Or, at your option, you get a payment for the value at its higher grade (the TPG determines that value) and the TPG keeps the coin.

Lance.

I believe NGC handles this the same way PCGS does. Which is to say, they guarantee it will grade no lower. It will be cracked out and a new grade and cert# will be generated.

Rarely, but sometimes, the TPG finds a problem that prevents them, in good conscience, from giving it the same (or higher) grade. In that case their guarantee kicks in. You collect a check for the difference in value, along with your coin in a lower grade holder. Or, at your option, you get a payment for the value at its higher grade (the TPG determines that value) and the TPG keeps the coin.

Lance.

I thought that was true about the same grade guarantee but the other info; I did not know about. Thanks alot for the verification and add'l details. :)

. In retrospect, apparently ANACS grades somewhat differently than other coin grading firms.

In retrospect, ALL TPGs have their own seperate grading standards and no two will be the same.

Well, I rec'd an email from NGC and they say that the coin will be returned to me in the ANACS slab. I don't knwo how they determined that the coin had been cleaned but they have their way of determining this. Thanks for your replies, it has been interesting.

Would you post images? Perhaps we could be of help.

Just out of curiosity, which ANACS holder was it in? Was it the old small holder, the blue label holder, or the new yellow label holder?

Scott

Just make sure to always check "do not holder genuine" when sending in crossovers if you dont want to risk losing your original holder.

I think you have it mixed up. You check this box when sending raw coins to NGC.

You check the box if you don't want body bagged coins put into holders.

Starting Jan 1st.....you are only allowed to send PCGS coins to NGC for crossover.

Just make sure to always check "do not holder genuine" when sending in crossovers if you dont want to risk losing your original holder.

I think you have it mixed up. You check this box when sending raw coins to NGC.

You check the box if you don't want body bagged coins put into holders.

Starting Jan 1st.....you are only allowed to send PCGS coins to NGC for crossover.

That's correct. "Do not holder genuine" if for raw submissions that bodybag. (It makes no sense to me to ever use this but whatever...)

Crossovers are never cracked out until the TPG determines that the coin will meet your cited minimum grade. If the TPG cannot be certain it will, then the coin will be returned in its original holder and your grading fee will be kept.

Lance.

NGC announced last month that they are no longer going to reslab ANACS coins that are sumitted for minimum grading crossover which is equivalent to the ANACS slab grade. The announcement went on to say that: no minimum grade can be requested on slabbed coins that are not in NGC or PCGS holders any longer. I expect that you will get the coin back net graded as "Improperly Cleaned, AU Details" or however the graders see it. If NGC cracks the slab, they will net grade it.