• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoinWorld apparently won't publish my letter-to-the-editor so here it is instead

40 posts in this topic

I say we just call them douchebags and move on.

Wow, thought the filter would catch that since it goes after bags of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed...hmmm... hm

Objection - presumes facts not in evidence. What exactly were the coins going to be dipped in? It's quite possible that you are assuming they will be dipped in acid, whereas they will actually be dipped in solvent.

Don't all sophisticated modern submittors dip their coins in solvent prior to submission? This takes off grease and fingerprints.

Below is a cut/paste of a DH post on the subject.

homerunhall

Collector

Wednesday July 25, 2007 11:30 AM

We only do it if the coin has gone bad in the holder, or if it's ugly for the grade and shouldn't have been in the holder in the first place. And we always ask permission.

We will not dip a toned coin just to make it white. We don't feel it's our job to make everything white. If the toning is appropriate for the grade then we won't touch the coin. You can if you want, be we won't.

dh

Also here is a pic of the mintmark of my 1879 CC Morgan I submitted ats. before and after closeups of mm.

fixed1879CCmintmark.jpg

So the question is, when does dipping become 'conservation', and when is it 'doctoring'? Since likely a huge portion of silver and gold coins have been acid dipped, and are in holders, are these 'doctored', or 'conserved'? If PCGS continues the lawsuit, I would think that the term 'doctoring' is going to be debated by each side.

From the previous post before mine from joeyuk, it appears that there is admission AND empirical evidence that PCGS acid dips submissions?

It's evident , that CW does not want to publish Reader comments that promotes negative opinions of one of it's largest Subscriber Advertisers . As usual , the bottom line Rules. They are not the only game in town , perhaps other publications may not be so intimated .

They are not the only game in town , perhaps other publications may not be so intimated .

Good point! I didn't think to try my letter at one of the other rags.

Uh-oh, is PCGS a major advertiser with the others as well hm ?

As long as Coin World is being criticized, I just renewed my subscription. The letter I got in the mail to renew a few weeks ago was for $47.99 for one year. By the time I got to renewing yesterday online, the price had jumped to $59.99, a full 25% increase. I emailed them and asked what was up, and they said as of last week, that was the new price. 25% in one year? Hmm......

I say we just call them douchebags and move on.

Wow, thought the filter would catch that since it goes after bags of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed...hmmm... hm

Maybe if you included a space, it would.