• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WILL MODERN PROOF COINS BE MELTED?

13 posts in this topic

On the chat boards posters are deliberating selling proof sets the prices of these sets finally raising in value, only because bullion content..

The buyers of these proofs hold them in sets. or split out the silver sell it at melt at a profit and keep the 1c 5c for free.

The thoughts I have on modern (1992 to present) proof silver 10c 25c and 50c coins cracked and tubed lose there authenticity as silver to the general public..

A clad proof rolls looks much like a silver proof roll I wonder how many clads are sold as silver ??? And then how long till no one trusts proof silver rolls or sets?

This is a good chance to warn everyone...I have heard, more than once, that people are buying silver proof sets--state quarters like the 1999's in particular--and removing the silver coins from OGP plastic and inserting clad coinage in the plastic slots...then these are being sold on ebay as silver proof sets...but they contain clad coinage...

The only way a buyer can tell is if he opens the set and actually takes the coins out and looks at the side/rims...just use caution if buying these from unfamiliar dealers..........

On the chat boards posters are deliberating selling proof sets the prices of these sets finally raising in value, only because bullion content..

The buyers of these proofs hold them in sets. or split out the silver sell it at melt at a profit and keep the 1c 5c for free.

The thoughts I have on modern (1992 to present) proof silver 10c 25c and 50c coins cracked and tubed lose there authenticity as silver to the general public..

A clad proof rolls looks much like a silver proof roll I wonder how many clads are sold as silver ??? And then how long till no one trusts proof silver rolls or sets?

First off, anyone purchasing tubes or rolls of proofs, whether clad or silver, should inspect each coin to be sure the seller is not pulling a fast one.

To be honest, if a collector can't tell the difference between a silver proof, or coin and clad proof, or coin, where you can see the copper in the edge of the coin, which is not there with silver coins; they should seriously consider another hobby.

Also, and this is just my personal preference in collecting, I have no interest in proof or genuine UNC coins, which came from Mint Sets and not bank rolls, that are placed in tubes, and I know of many numismatists who feel the same way.

I purchase 2 Proof sets, and 1 Mint set, each year from the Mint. The coins are removed from the Mint set, and 1 Proof set for my individual proof coins and UNC coins. The 2nd Proof set remains in it's OGP as an entire set.

The difference between .900 silver and CuNi clad should be obvious to anyone planning to collect coins.

There is a very easy trick to distinguishing the silver coins from the clad coins. I remember Conder throwing this out a long time ago. Take a piece of toilet tissue and lay it over the coin. The clad will look gray in color and the silver will look white. No having to bust open OGP's. Thanks again Conder for that tip my friend!

There is a very easy trick to distinguishing the silver coins from the clad coins. I remember Conder throwing this out a long time ago. Take a piece of toilet tissue and lay it over the coin. The clad will look gray in color and the silver will look white. No having to bust open OGP's. Thanks again Conder for that tip my friend!

I was talking about silver, and clad coins removed from OGPs and placed in roll tubes. ;)

This is clever, and it would obviate the need to break the set apart (my primary concern). Thanks for posting this.

I just read an article in CoinWorld that the US Mint is planning to melt 85,227 unsold 2009 Ultra-high Relief gold coins. As of the time the article was written, they didn't make a decision as to what they do with the 67,240 unstruck blanks. Remember, the UHR coins are one troy ounce of .9999 gold.

Scott

what they do with the 67,240 unstruck blanks. Scott

There would be no reason for those to be melted unless they have flaws or defects from the stamping machine that punched them out of the ribbons.

If I remember correctly, any gold blanks not struck into coinage in any year, remain in the storage trays until the following year's dies are made to strike the next year's coins.

The problem is there are no one oz gold coins in the current (or near future) mint production line up that would use the small diameter planchets used for the UHR coins. All of the current one oz coins are 32.7 mm in diameter, these unstruck planchets are just under 27 mm.