• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draped Bust Half Help

11 posts in this topic

I'm contemplating buying the following coin in an old ANACS holder graded as VF-30; however, I am thinking that the grade is only around VF-20 (after comparing it to PCGS photograde). I'm new to the series, and don't own any pieces. Could anyone provide me advice on the grade of the coin? Is it a VF-20 (or lower) or is the old ANACS grade accurate? Any advice would be appreciated.

Please also note that the images are not mine, so I am unable to take any additional photographs.

Obverse.png

Reverse.png

Edited to add photographs.

not great photos and with early coinage it is impossible to grade from a photo as i cant tilt and turn the coin in different lighting sources

but from what i see in the photo and this is based just on the photos sight seen could be different

looks crusty and decently "original" and yes you are absolutelycorrect as the coin is a just made it vf-20 no more no less

From the photo it's hard to say if the coin is original and "crusty" or has artificial toning. The color and lighting in the photo do not allow me to make that call.

As to the sharpness grade, believe it or not ANACS got it right. The coin as a lot of hair detail and you can actually read "E Pluribus Unum" on the reverse, which is unusual for a circated coin from this series.

Many 1806 and '07 half dollars were struck from shallow dies and didn't have as much sharp detail as the eariler dates did. For that reason some collectors tend to under grade those dates. Here is the 1806 half dollar (a different variety that the one you are considering) from my type set. It was graded AU-58. The coin is at least an AU-55.You can compare this near Mint State coin with the piece you are considering.

1806HalfDolO.jpg1806HalfDolR.jpg

That coin looks to be no less than a VF 25, as Bill said VF 30 probably is the correct grade. It has enough of detail left in the hair and the drapery .Just enough detail left in the wings – I think the right wing into the shield was stuck softly.

(I dont know where I came up with my original post at $ 1300 - $1400 -

$ 750 - $800 is a fair price ) That is a bit lower than Vf 25 wholesale.

As I said before, you should look at the color to make sure that at least has the look of an original coin.

Even during the years of the "the old ANACS" coins like this ended up in ANACS, and not the two leading TPGs, for a reason. Make sure that you like the surfaces and color.

I'm not a fan of the toning, but like Bill said, this is a solid VF coin (I really don't get bogged down with the 20 vs. 30 stuff).

Here are better pics of the coin, and yes I think it is properly graded

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1145&Lot_No=9652

For comparison, here is an NGC 30

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=370&Lot_No=60586

And if you are buying from a dealer, you now know what he paid, and about 8-900 bucks is a fair price

I don't care for it much at all. The toning doesn't look original to me, and I agree that the details are lucky to make VF-20, even taking into account a flat strike.

I agree! And would pass.

I don't care for it much at all. The toning doesn't look original to me, and I agree that the details are lucky to make VF-20, even taking into account a flat strike.

I agree! And would pass.

I did pass; thanks for all of the help. :)