• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880 3 cent nickel

18 posts in this topic

First of all, welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

At the risk of sounding a little cynical, I find that the grading companies very seldom under-grade these proofs.

Yours looks like a PF-64 (no cam) to me, but it is quite difficult to judge the grade of such proof coins from images alone. On these old nickel proofs, hairlines aren't normally the "problem" that keeps them out of higher grades, but rather, it is environmental effects detrimental to the pristine surface quality.

I'm with James on this one. I believe it's a decent proof. Too much haze in the field to allow it to go cameo, although I do see a lot of contrast. There is a distracting milk spot on the reverse that keeps it from going gem.

I'm with James on this one. I believe it's a decent proof. Too much haze in the field to allow it to go cameo, although I do see a lot of contrast. There is a distracting milk spot on the reverse that keeps it from going gem.

Really? (shrug)

I think the spot is on the slab, see the photo immediately preceding it.

The grade is PF64. The coin looks a lot better in person then it does in the pictures. I paid $400 for it, how did I do? Do you guys think it would be worth it to have NGC regrade it?

The grade is PF64. The coin looks a lot better in person then it does in the pictures. I paid $400 for it, how did I do? Do you guys think it would be worth it to have NGC regrade it?

Well, since I guessed 64, I clearly would not think so :) . Seriously, I would urge you to enjoy saving your money rather than throwing it at additional regrades that are almost certain not to bump upward.

It's a nice coin, but not a pristine "gem".

I would have guessed 65 before you reported the grade---with one possible consideration: my question is, on the reverse at around 3 oclock by the leaves, is that some slight verdigras or greenish discoloration surrounding the sides of the leaves?

And by the way, I love this simple and attractive coin design--I think you did well with the coin and the cost, however your enjoyment and satisfaction is what counts--are you excited to own it?

Typically, it is all but impossible to provide meaningful grade guesses for Proof coins, based on images. Among other reasons, the extent of hairlines often accounts for grade differences, and most of them can't be seen in images.

$400 is a strong price to pay for a PR64 example.