• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting Stalled

12 posts in this topic

You know, lately on some of my series I've been getting a little stalled, meaning I've either hit a wall in terms of the remaining coins I need (like the key date Morgans, or the really big money Saints, though I am still not stalled on Saints), or I have just become a little bored with the series. In a sense, I guess collecting by series has its limitations for me, and when it seems like I can go no further, I start looking for something else to do. The worst time was when I basically took a decade long break from collecting, but now it's not quite as bad. Do any of you ever find yourself plateauing (is that a word?) and if so, how do you respond?

Personally, I feel that searching for coins one at a time in order to complete a set is the main thrill of collecting. It's when one may buy a complete set at one time that much of the satisfaction is robbed. I guess it's the thrill of the pursuit that draws lots of people into collecting.

John--

I know what worked for me, in those 'slumps', was to focus on other sets I had an interest in! As each series has its 'cycles' of one being able to procure those needed pieces (sometimes you can find 'em, sometimes you can't!) + (sometimes you can afford 'em, sometimes you can't!), I merely let one series lie idle, for a while, as I concentrated on others...!!!

For me, it has always been exciting!, to come back to a 'work-in-progress', and pick it back up again, with renewed interest! I find new 'avenues' of understanding,

a different outlook for-- and to!-- the set being built, and enjoy knowing that the 'other' sets will again be turned to in their! time...!!!

For instance, I have a nearly complete Merc. set, needing only a few pieces to complete. I've 'worked' on it for some five years now, adding a coin here and there, on occasion... same with my large-- and half-- cents, Morgans, Franklins (now complete in unc.), etc.

Your Saints require a tidy sum, to add to the set; perhaps a new focus on a series less demanding, both finanacially-- as well as-- intellectually...!!! Sort of helps to clear the 'cobwebs' outta the 'attic', and places a new 'spin' on differing areas of the hobby...!!! Good luck!!! smile.gif

When I get to a plateau I usully either go off course, sometimes finding a new series to collect, or start reading, learning more about my current series until my attention gets diverted back to it. I took about a year off from collecting last year when real life stepped in, I am just getting back into it, and my enthusiasm is much better than it was before I stopped. Sometimes you just need a break.

One thing I've found helpful is also to vary my style between sets, What I mean is, some sets I have a set grade in mind while others are a complete variety. Some are slabbed, some are raw. Here's an example, I finished my Franklin set a year or two ago, all slabbed, all minimum MS-63, and all white. But then I moved to Washingtons, and completed a set all circulated in a whitman folder. I am now working on 3CNs, all circ and uncertified. But there are many ways to keep things interesting, some people are big on having everything in the same grade, but I am far more interested in seeing how things wear, and differing states of preservation. It may also say a lot about coins in circulation. Take my Kennedy set in a whitman folder, I got all but the 70-D in circulation, so it shows what was out there at the time I put my set together. Imagine the value of having such a set that say your grandfather gave you of the Barber quarters he put together back in the early 1920s? It may not be the Eliasburg collection, but is certainly would be a wonderful thing to pass to future generations!

Jeff,

Plateauing has become a word in corporate America.

As for me, I never hit a plateau when it comes to being a hobbyist. NEVER. Ok, once, when I entered college and then got very busy with my first real career job.

I am able not to plateau because I don't focus so much for a series collector. I always have many things going on: my main sets (there are 3 going at once), a bunch of mini type sets (I just formed a Russ Logan Capped Bust Type Set), and numismatic literature. Even when all that stalls for whatever reason, I also accumulate foreign notes and coins. And, I save all my star notes and every Ike and Kennedy I can find. And, I search for SQ's that I don't yet have.

And, even if all that fails, I also look at the occasional ancient material.

Finally, if that stalls, then I fall back on stamps, sports cards and comics.

Finally, if even that stalls, I will go to book stores and buy up all sorts of books that I never intend to read. (I have some really esoteric books from a place off the Interstate in Vermont.)

And, if even that stalls, I also do technology for a living as well as for a hobby.

And, of course, I also am constantly on the hunt for quality wines at affordable prices.

So, you see, I never stall... I have too many interests and not enough time (or money).

EVP

PS I also enjoy a nice political debate... smile.gif

I seem to get bored with my trying to collect a whole set at a time. I'm trying to complete a proof Kennedy set, and I get bored and go off buying Mercury dimes and Morgan dollars. I can't help but go off and buy other things. frown.gif

I usually either wait until I have a few extra bucks so I can pick up one or two pieces that I didn't already have, or I start on a different series. I've also started in a very small way with displays at shows.

I get enough exposure to different types of coins and collectors that finding an interest in something new is rarely a problem, although finding enough money to pursue that interest can be another matter.

The best thing for me in that situation is to read up on coins to bring my interest level up. I've taken a worse approach by buying lots of various coins and attempting to collect 10 different inexpensive sets at once. crazy.gif

I've mellowed out a bit and am now focused on a few new sets while leaving two others completed save the stopper in each.

That's a very good point. I had stalled professionally rather than numismatically a few months back, and I decided to do as much numismatic reading as I could while my purchasing power was limited. As you read, you learn, and as you learn, you develop an interest.