• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coin-related periodicals/editions do you purchase frequently?

9 posts in this topic

For me, I like the Red Book and Scott Travers' Coin Collector's Survival Manual, and I try to get new releases of both when I can.

For me, I like the Red Book and Scott Travers' Coin Collector's Survival Manual, and I try to get new releases of both when I can.

Was just reading the S. Travers book last weekend! Another GREAT book is the The PCGS Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection--I re-read that one last Summer. I used it to authenticate a 1932-S Washington quarter that I had purchased in MS really cheap. This book is not only interesting but VERY practical.

For me--Of course The Complete Guide to the Walking Liberty Half Dollar by Bruce Fox (that's the Walker Bible) and I have just purchased Anthony Swiatek's Walker book-- "The Walking Liberty Half Dollar"--that was long overdue.

The Scott Travers book is by far my favorite, and I believe that it was my first coin book ever. I think I bought it even before the "Redbook."

I used to subscribe to CoinAge, CDN Greysheet, Coin World, Numismatic News and the Numismatist, but I've had to let all of those subscriptions expire now that I'm on a fixed income.

I don't bother getting the Red Book every year since I'm not buying any new releases from the Mint. What's the point? I never used it for pricing anyway, and everything else is the same.

I really enjoyed reading Hoot's occasional articles in CW's Coin Values, but I ended up selling about five years worth of Coin Values for $75.

Chris

Krause Standand Catalog of World Coins, all centuries. I have a complete set back to the first issue in 1972.

Coin World Almanac

And for some reason Penny Whimsy. I have Early American Cents and all of the different editions of Penny Whimsy including both printings of the 1990 edition (God what a HORRIBLE edition. If you want a copy of Penny Whimsy do NOT buy the 1990 edition.)

Coin World

Coin Dealer Newsletter

COINage

I buy a hardcover Red Book every year because I have a complete set and wish to maintain it.

And I get the The Numismatist because I'm an ANA member.