• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For your information, no one told me what PCGS was going to announce a while

17 posts in this topic

As you may recall, a while ago, David Hall offered $1,000 to anyone who could predict/guess what new important announcements they were going to announce, on March 25, 2010 at the Mid-Winter ANA convention, at 10:30.

Here's the thread:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=761476&highlight_key=y&keyword1=the

As some of you may remember, among other things, I predicted they would start adding plus signs to coin grades, when warranted.

Some people accused me of having insider info, however, no one told me what PCGS was going to announce.

Please correct me if I am wrong, however, PCGS never honored the payment of $1,000 to me or anyone else, from what I know.

However, they did ban me from the boards for answering someone's question in a coin thread, about my activities in Costa Rica.

I absolutely remember that thread and I absolutely remember you posting that there would be "PLUS" grades. I also remember the $1000 offer by HomeRunHall. And, I remember as you do, that no one was awarded the $1000 offer. I also remember their exciting announcement just before that where they would no longer be guaranteeing their copper grades. Yea, that was exciting not only for them, but for me as well!! NOT!!

Anyhow, it's a bummer they banned you ATS for your answering of the question. So what became of the person who asked the question? Did they get the boot as well? If not, they should have. Personally, I think I would have warned once that you shouldn't be answering OT questions like that but in the same way, they should have warned the poster of the "violation".

Anyhow, I think you'll find things a bit calmer over here.

I remember your comments and you are recalling them here exactly. I remember because I posted shortly after you with my guess and having read yours thought, "Wow, that was lame. No way will 'plus grading' work". I was wrong and you were right.

You absolutely earned the 1K and PCGS owes you that money. I don't know who you would push the issue with, but you should.

"So how is Costa Rica treating you? I hear tell it's a great country to visit."

I am currently living in Golden, Colorado, however, I love Costa Rica and plan on going back there as soon as possible, to my home, my Hummer, my wife and my girlfriends (my wife's sisters) and my motorcycles.

I speak to my wife and her two sisters several times a week.

I've been to every state in the US and 47 different countries, and Costa Rica is the best, and my future permanent home.

As far as suing PCGS or Homerunhall, you would think they wouldn't need to be sued. Maybe they just don't know that they should pay me, or maybe they don't agree. I'll eventually forward this thread onto Don Willis. He's a standup guiy and should be able to render an honest opinion.

As far as suing PCGS or Homerunhall, you would think they wouldn't need to be sued. Maybe they just don't know that they should pay me, or maybe they don't agree. I'll eventually forward this thread onto Don Willis. He's a standup guiy and should be able to render an honest opinion.

It appears that you are certainly due a portion of the $1K, but I get the impression that the "challenge" referred to more than one item of note........

It is possible that the $1,000 prize will be split if someone guesses one thing and someone else guesses another part of the Big One.

If no other person guessed any other part of the "Big One", then I believe that you would be entitled to all of it because you came the closest with your partially correct guess.

Do you think that HRH is reneging because he may have thought that you had inside information?

Chris

As you may recall, a while ago, David Hall offered $1,000 to anyone who could predict/guess what new important announcements they were going to announce, on March 25, 2010 at the Mid-Winter ANA convention, at 10:30.

As some of you may remember, among other things, I predicted they would start adding plus signs to coin grades, when warranted.

That's a huge thread and difficult to sort through to see who cited the two big things and one little thing that composed "The Big One".

I didn't think anyone guessed correctly, though there were some close ones. Plus grading was the minor portion of the announcement and a lot of guys guessed plus or PQ grading. The big news was SecurePlus digital fingerprinting to thwart doctoring, assist with theft recovery identification, etc.

If I thought I correctly guessed the Big One and didn't get the prize-winning check I would write a letter to DW and HRH, and copy the Board of Directors. I'd cite HRH's challenge, print the thread, and highlight my winning answer. All in a respectful tone. I'm confident I'd get an answer at least.

Lance.

it was all a publicity stunt (you were close but not close enough - actually all 3 - 2 major and 1 minor)

similar to when they offered a $10,000 reward for an answer to prevent milkspots on SAEs - got publication in national mags - except for how, where to send info to collect reward

it was all a publicity stunt (you were close but not close enough - actually all 3 - 2 major and 1 minor)

similar to when they offered a $10,000 reward for an answer to prevent milkspots on SAEs - got publication in national mags - except for how, where to send info to collect reward

Iteresting.... hm