• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHICH OF THESE MORGANS DO YOU THINK IS WORTHY OF "CAC" STICKER?

29 posts in this topic

Hello Coin Collectors,

Please take a look at these 2 1882 s Morgans grade ms66 and tell me which one looks the best and would most likely receive a "CAC" sticker if I sent it in. Thank you for your time and opinions. Sincerely, Dan

107570.jpg.cf1977e2f42d8f9eb7a5d8fd5ca2ded3.jpg

107571.jpg.ba5e1d5cfffb51667ccb11b990b0edef.jpg

107572.jpg.ca31d7f2c03df3cf169f96370e8610db.jpg

107573.jpg.f8f15f56d974de527eb0097818d1b00e.jpg

107574.jpg.f87d2b1d307518808eedd30589188a84.jpg

Since I know absolutely nothing about CAC, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that neither would get the green beanie. They both have a little too much chatter in the fields.

Chris

The toned PCGS coin has better eye appeal. No one here can determine from a photo if a coin would be a good candidate for a CAC sticker.

Issues that are visible in hand are often overlooked or missed from a photo.

# 1 would CAC (great strike and clean surfaces) # 2 is WAY more baggie but, b/c of the colorful tone, it would probably STAR. NGC stars coins more b/c of color than anything else, IMHO.

I prefer #1 as a CAC candidate.

I like to send coins in to "CAC" once I purchase them, It only cost $10.00 and I plan on keeping my coins long term. This forum is great for getting opinions before purchasing a coin. Thank you for your time and opinion. Sincerely, Dan

Tough to tell from the photo, but I like the 82, has very interesting color.
Which 82 would that be?

Lance.

edited to add: I tend to prefer attractive toning but I am not impressed by the PCGS one. I'd pass on both and keep looking.

lol yea, Lance, I guess they are both 82 aren't they! But you are right, if you aren't pressed for time, I'd keep looking as well. But if you have your heart set on one of the two, then again, this is just me, I'd pick the toned one.

lol yea, Lance, I guess they are both 82 aren't they! But you are right, if you aren't pressed for time, I'd keep looking as well. But if you have your heart set on one of the two, then again, this is just me, I'd pick the toned one.
You're a good sport, CD. I like your attitude. And your coin knowledge!

Lance.

IMO that Morgan has nice colors, but they don't add a lot of eye appeal. Too much spotty colors for great eye appeal.

Thanks I like the color too but I was not sure how much eye appeal was there.

WHICH OF THESE MORGANS DO YOU THINK IS WORTHY OF "CAC" STICKER?

To this very day, I am still not clear on what the heck the sticker is supposed to mean to the general everyday collector. All I know is that John Albanese has decided that there are coins that people should pay more for, and so he puts a sticker on them. So I'll guess that the sticker is not worthy of any of those coins, since I prefer not to be told by someone that I should pay more for something than I want to.

John Albanese stickers coins that he feels is solid or nice for the grade. It's up to the buyer to decide what they will pay. I did send in a Morgan with very pretty color, but it did not sticker because of chatter on the cheek. Not sure about the 2 Morgans pictured?

Hi James,

I like to try and purchase coins that can earn the "CAC" sticker because its another challenge in coin collecting that makes it fun, The green sticker kind of rewards you that you made a good purchase and decision and its only $10.00 and thats only if the coin receives the sticker, If it does not get the sticker, you are not charged at all. I am a long term collector so I plan on holding on to my collection for many years. I love this forum as it helps me make good decisions on my coin purchases. Please keep giving me good advice! sincerely, Dan

Hi James,

I like to try and purchase coins that can earn the "CAC" sticker because its another challenge in coin collecting that makes it fun, The green sticker kind of rewards you that you made a good purchase and decision and its only $10.00 and thats only if the coin receives the sticker, If it does not get the sticker, you are not charged at all. I am a long term collector so I plan on holding on to my collection for many years. I love this forum as it helps me make good decisions on my coin purchases. Please keep giving me good advice! sincerely, Dan

Dan, by all means, more power to you if you have found a collecting avenue you really enjoy (thumbs u . I can only say that the sticker doesn't help me at all, because far too many coins with stickers are unattractive and not worthy of special designation, in my opinion. In other words, I really don't know what "standard" applies to the earning of a sticker, as it seems to be applied merely at one person's whim (albeit a person who may be well educated in coins). Some folks may find that their opinion always coincides with that of John Albanese a remarkable 100% of the time, but I have found myself at more like 30% agreement, IF the sticker is supposed to mean the coin is something "special".

But by no means would I discourage you from pursuing stickers. If that's what you enjoy, then you my friend are getting everything you can out of a great hobby :) !

Hi James,

I could not have said it any better, I think this is the best hobby out there! Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year! Sincerely, Dan

P.S. Thanks for all the great advice and opinions! Keep them coming! I really appreciate it. You and this forum are best!!!

I am going to pass on both and come up with a better one for you to check out. Thank you so much for your help and time. Sincerely, Dan

The 1882s coin is known for a strong strike, and the piece is so common that a MS67 example should be readily available. You can probably pick up a nice MS67 on eBay or another auction house. You might be able to pick up a nice MS67 ANACS or ICG specimen for MS66 money and cross it to PCGS or NGC (and yes I've seen it done). Is there any reason that you are confining yourself to MS66?