• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Question.

10 posts in this topic

Question.. I just obtained a 2009 high relief double eagle, I am worried to send it in due to mail loss, ect... I am off better off having this coin NGC graded or just keep it the way it is in its plastic coin holder that it came in? This is one of the most awesome coins I have ever seen... Opinions please!

I've kept mine right in the original packaging which is beautiful. The only reason people went crazy for slabbing were those that got them first and wanted the "early releases" slab, This is a modern mint product, and 99.9% of all these coins will grade either MS-69 or MS-70, and even then the prices don't show a great difference unless it comes back a 70. In a recent coin world ad, I saw a company offering $1.850 in original packaging or $2,300 for one in MS-70, no mention of MS-69. So if you really think your coin is a 70 then send it in, if not just keep it!

On a related topic...I purchased one of these on the 1st day available. The ones that are graded prooflike are bringing big bucks. Is it more likely that mine is prooflike since it was one of the first strikes? Mine is also in original packaging.

I don't know, I know I ordered mine in the first 5 minutes they went on sale, and mine is not PL, it all has to do with the polishing of the dies, which happened throughout production, so in theory at least, you could have ordered one 3 months later and if it was produced on a new set of highly polished dies, it could have been a PL. For my personal taste however, if I wanted a proof, I'd buy a cameo proof gold eagle, but those have just never looked right to me! The regular UHR coins look like what the original proofs looked like in my opinion, except the matte proofs of course. So I guess just look at it, if it looks like a traditional proof with mirrored surfaces, you'd probably get a PL, if it looks more like a satin proof like mine, then it wouldn't. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

PS- my avatar is the original UHR that's in the Smithsonian, and my coin looks more like that!

Keep it the way it is.

Lots of us sent in "first strike" coins, hoping for MS70 and knowing the first strike designation would bring a (silly) premium. There was some logic to it at the time. You can't get a first strike designation any more.

The PCGS/NGC slab spoils the presentation, IMO. The coin is beautifully displayed in it's original holder and classy box. Plus, if you keep all the original stuff and have to sell it some day, buyers may speculate it will grade 70 and perhaps pay more.

JMO, FWIW.

Lance.

Personally I don't see any reason to slab the coin, but if you do decide you need toas long as you send it in by Registered Mail you really have nothing to worry about as far as loss in the mail goes.

I like modern coins like this in their original mint package. The big block of wood that holds the 2009 double eagle is really impressive. To me the coin loses character when it goes into a slab. It just looks like another hunk of gold.

I like modern coins like this in their original mint package. The big block of wood that holds the 2009 double eagle is really impressive. To me the coin loses character when it goes into a slab. It just looks like another hunk of gold.

Yes, that magnetic tilt holder and the impressive box kept my UHR from the TPGs.

I wondered how much those boxes cost and are they made in the US?

OP

Thanks for the feedback, my deal with keeping the coin in the OGP is security related basically, can't fit it into my safety deposit box and don't want to be out on a $1900 loss. The coin I have is also no way a PL version but whenever I hold the coin, look at it, ect, it just looks so special to actual have purchased one. I was one of the people who got mine late and bought it from someone with a lot of feedback on eBay.... I love the box and especially the book.....