• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1911-D $10 Indian

18 posts in this topic

Too much wear on high points. I will say no more than AU50, maybe even XF45
That's another gold coin you're being too tight on. The images make it hard to judge, but I couldn't see anything less than an AU55, and unc. is much more likely than an XF.

I'm thinking AU58, there is what seems to be some rub on it. Of course, it seems that at times these squeak into 61 holders. I think there's too much rub for that though.

Looks like a nice mid-AU to me, there seems to be some nice crust on it, but hard to guage the luster remainin.

Of all the 1911 eagles strikes unlike the lustrous 1911-P, the 11-D has very fine matte-like surfaces, and the 1911-S is the worst almost sandblasted grainy.

It's hard to tell on these images what's muck and what's rub, yet I still feel it's a PCGS OGH AU50 or AU53. Image #4 makes me feel it's in a OGH.

It's a great key date and a good put-away coin even in XF45.

It is really hard to grade any indian gold from pictures, even good ones. You pictures are washed by secondary glare and that makes me nervous about grading them at all.

Mark, yeah, I am tough on gold but I have collected it since 1965 and I don't like getting burned on Indian gold which the services always are hard on grading and very conservative (usually) or stupid loose (occasionally)!

Some of you did really good even with my bad pics. Anyone think there is a possibility of an upgrade on this one? Why does the price increase so much with these in AU+ grades on this date but not lower grades??

I try for a CAC sticker and leave it as is.

$10 Injian pricing is based on demand and these are generally collected in higher then VF-30 circ grades.

Here's my AU58 1911-D which I upgraded about 13 times over 19-20 years and stopped when I found this 5 years ago.

The rotated dies are pretty neat too, also being an error collector! ;)

1jb8k0.jpg15hjtb6.jpg

It has some touches of old envelope adhesive on the cheek, lower lip, & left field on the obverse which 5 years ago I thought I'd want to acetone off. But today I feel it adds to it's originality and am leaving it as is.

210ykoj.jpg1zxv4af.jpg