• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Start the weekend early Guess the Grade and Overton!

8 posts in this topic

Ok, just picked these up cheap on eBay to fill a couple holes in my Dansco, a well used 1825, and perhaps the easiest of the 149 marriages of 1827 to attribute! Enjoy!

107089.jpg.1f66fb26e3daaeb7fe91de53ad0a7218.jpg

107090.jpg.1ec90564f3179be026e8975de434c2c6.jpg

107091.jpg.8c9b098e913ffe1dcf816265bcad2682.jpg

107092.jpg.c84b15f90d7e1f627af97b0b6508c79b.jpg

You're right...your '27 IS at least one of--if not the--easiest DMs to identify for the year. For some reason, though, at least half of the coins proporting to be this Overton that I see for sale actually aren't.

The '25 is one of the easier for that year too. The wear on your example does make it a little tougher though.

I'll let a few others try first.

Jeff,

Sorry that I missed this somehow as I love to be wrong.

I'll submit that the 1825 as a G-6 and O-107

and the 1827 as a VG-8 and O-146.

You must be close to at least one of each date now aren't you?

Great collection.

Jim

Jeff,

Sorry that I missed this somehow as I love to be wrong.

I'll submit that the 1825 as a G-6 and O-107

and the 1827 as a VG-8 and O-146.

You must be close to at least one of each date now aren't you?

Great collection.

Jim

Although I personally think that you are a little optimistic on both grades I'm sorry to say (since you "love to be wrong") that you are correct on both attributions.

Well, they are both raw, so your opinions on grade are correct only if you believe them! With such late dates, these are certainly well used examples, but I agree on the attributions, the 1825 I think is an O-107 and the 1827 is one of the 2 curl base marriages for the year, the O-146 and O-147, and the reverse makes this the former.

And as for the low grades, they are only filling holes in the Dansco so they will work for me just fine! And Jim, you'd think I'd be getting close on at least one per date, but it's surprising how many empty holes I have in my albums!

When I grade from photos, I usually will grade in the coin's favor. Now, in hand, the issue becomes a little different. I like the game and have greatly improved in the F thru AU grades. Below fine--a little sketchy--above AU--a lot sketchy.

Merry Christmas to all.

Jeff, hurry and post some more.

Jim