• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SGS slab toned my lincoln

30 posts in this topic

So I had bought a set of those so-called PF70 sgs slabs a while back. I bought one year so I could put them in my dansco and got them pretty cheap. Anyhow, I never had to use the Lincoln and I found this the other day in a box and noticed that the slab has done some toning to it. It's hard to get the rim real good but the colors there are at the top and bottom are a real nice purple. Anyhow, thought I'd post it for the heck of it.

1998sLincoln.jpg

Can't believe I just shot this next pic with my Iphone. lol Had to add it to the post.

lincoln.jpg

That is not AT at all. He bought it in a slab, slab inadvertently toned the coin, plain and simple. If you call this AT, then every Wayte Raymond toned coin in existence is also AT.

GREAT color on that penny, Bobby. I'd give that a *

That is not AT at all. He bought it in a slab, slab inadvertently toned the coin, plain and simple. If you call this AT, then every Wayte Raymond toned coin in existence is also AT.
Ah, so that brings up a good question. Now, knowing that a coin will tone quickly in that insert, can you put another coin in there and allow it to tone quickly and it not be AT? Or how bout you get a Wayte, now knowing it tones coins artificially, and yea, that's what it's doing, toning coins artificially, and put new coins in there. Just to "hold" them there for a while. Is that AT'ing? Call it what you will, I call it AT.

On another note, Bobby did not AT this coin, it was predisposed to the AT.

You got shnookered into the SGS everything's a 70?

Actually I didn't get snookered into an sgs slab. lol I bought them purposely to put in my dansco at a very cheap price. I think I've had the cent in this slab for about 5 years now. I was surprised at the color, it looks pretty nice. The sgs slabs use what feels like a foam insert. It's strange that the foam would tone this thing like that. I actually like the colors on it.

Now, knowing that a coin will tone quickly in that insert, can you put another coin in there and allow it to tone quickly and it not be AT? Or how bout you get a Wayte, now knowing it tones coins artificially, and yea, that's what it's doing, toning coins artificially, and put new coins in there. Just to "hold" them there for a while. Is that AT'ing?

Yes, in both of those cases it would be AT. The only real difference between NT and AT in intent. If a coin tones unexpectedly it is NT. If the coin is put into a situation with the INTENT that the coin will tone then it is AT. So if you know the inset or the album will tone the coin when you put it in there there is the intent to get it to tone so it is AT.

The problem come from the fact that you can't just look at the resultant coin and divine intent.

Sweet looking Lincoln Bobbie! That's cool that it toned up for you. Just one question, where you live, is it an area with high or low humidity?

Now, knowing that a coin will tone quickly in that insert, can you put another coin in there and allow it to tone quickly and it not be AT? Or how bout you get a Wayte, now knowing it tones coins artificially, and yea, that's what it's doing, toning coins artificially, and put new coins in there. Just to "hold" them there for a while. Is that AT'ing?

Yes, in both of those cases it would be AT. The only real difference between NT and AT in intent. If a coin tones unexpectedly it is NT. If the coin is put into a situation with the INTENT that the coin will tone then it is AT. So if you know the inset or the album will tone the coin when you put it in there there is the intent to get it to tone so it is AT.

The problem come from the fact that you can't just look at the resultant coin and divine intent.

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. I would agree that lack of intent makes the above coin NT. OTOH, Bobbie stated that it took 15ish years for this coin to reach this condition, so even if someone decided today, specifically for toning purposes, to stick a coin in this type of holder, then IMO given the long lead time, the end product would not be AT. Intent would be if sticking a coin in this sort of a holder produced a toned coin in (let's say) less than 3 months.

Actually, Bobby said it was 5 years. And who knows how long it took for it to get to it's current state? Most likely Bobby put this away when he first got it, forgot about it and now it looks the way it does. Bobby could run an experiment for us to see how long it takes, but I would suspect that there are already those who have gone out and purchased their SGS holders already!! lol

At any rate, I have to agree with what Condor said. So, with that revelation.... how many coin doctors do we really have in our midst?

Maybe you just took some nice 55 Mint Sets and put them into a 58 holder for safe keeping for a few years.... who knows? ;)

Actually, Bobby said it was 5 years...

Whooops! You're right... my BAD. Still, IMO 5 years is rather long for an AT attempt...

...just wondering what the 'sniffer' would say about the toning ATS? hm

I didn't think about ATS, so I posted there too. We'll see what they have to say. I can only imagine! lol

I didn't think about ATS, so I posted there too. We'll see what they have to say. I can only imagine! lol

One of the main reasons I don't post ATS anymore, there was one reply to the post and then the post got lost with all the others.

One of the main reasons I don't post ATS anymore, there was one reply to the post and then the post got lost with all the others.

That's because your name's not Longacre. If he posts a hangnail he'll get 50 responses. :)

I like your toner. The colors seem unique. Even though it wasn't doctored other than being put in the SGS holder, the grading companies would probably not grade it. I would certainly hang on to it. (thumbs u

That's because your name's not Longacre. If he posts a hangnail he'll get 50 responses. :)

I like your toner. The colors seem unique. Even though it wasn't doctored other than being put in the SGS holder, the grading companies would probably not grade it. I would certainly hang on to it. (thumbs u

lol I hear ya Bob. I just put it back in the box in my coin cabinet. Guess we'll check on it in another 5 yrs. lol

Well I finally went looking for my original pic of this cent. Too small to show but the actual date of this was 10/07. So I guess this toned in 3yrs 2 months. I guess my old mind thinks time goes by faster all the time. lol

Does the coin really have orange peel surfaces or is that some kind of optical illusion?

Actually they are more like wavy lines on this Proof. Here's one that I have with orange peel effect.

lincolnorangepeel003.jpg