• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins in Old Movie

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I was watching one of the better Harold Lloyd movies a few nights ago, and it included a nice, clear shot of five dimes. The movie is Safety Last, and about 25 minutes into it Harold reaches into his pocket for change. There's a close-up of his hand holding three Mercury Dimes and two Barbers. What I found most interesting is that one of the Mercuries was worn down to about F-VF. Though this movie was released in 1923, it was filmed in the summer of 1922 when coins of this type were less than six years old. This is another reminder of just how quickly silver coins wore down.

Well, I know for a fact that "one thin dime" won't even shine your shoes, George Benson said so:

George Benson may have said so in 1978, but Rudy Lewis told us about it way back in 1963...

The Drifters original

As for the OP, mercury dimes (at least in my memory) always seemed more worn than the Roosies that replaced them.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Perfect freeze frame! That's the exact scene from the movie, and the dime in question is the middle one.

Speaking of Harold Lloyd's hand, his left one was missing the thumb and one finger. This was the result of a prop bomb actually exploding in his hand during a 1920 publicity photo shoot. He had a special glove made that was convincing enough in long and medium shots to continue his career. It's possible that the close-up of his hands in Safety Last may have been shot with a stand-in.