• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this eagle worthy of MS-69 designation?

11 posts in this topic

Here is the link to the NGC provided photos.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=1213688-108

If you blow up the pic of the obverse you will see 2 obvious hits on the ray. I have the coin in hand, and really question the MS-69 grade on this one. Its not a big deal since this is a bullion coin anyway, plus I rec'd it by redeeming Teletrade points.

So I would like a clarification if I can. What would be considered the Prime Focal Area? I think this nic in the ray is very distracting for an MS69. The marks should be very miniscule for 69 but this is distracting to me.

If you blow up the pic of the obverse you will see 2 obvious hits on the ray. I have the coin in hand, and really question the MS-69 grade on this one. Its not a big deal since this is a bullion coin anyway, plus I rec'd it by redeeming Teletrade points.

With that hit on the obverse, I'd say thats a fair grade. If it were MS70, I'd say absolutely not.

It's definitely over graded. I wouldn't like it at MS68 either! As you said though, it's just a bullion coin, so it's not really a big deal. I'd shove it on eBay. Somebody will buy it during the Christmas rush, probably bidding close to the MS69 price anyway.

That's it, last week I sold a pile of these MS69 NGC Early Release (common date) SAE's and you know what? I got less apiece for graded NGC, MS69, SAE's than my wife got for some raw bullion grade Morgan dollars which are only 90% silver. That is correct. I got $21. apiece and she got $22 apiece.

This incident convinced me that I really do not care about these and am glad to be rid of them. I took the money and bought a raw AU, half eagle which may be worth more than I paid for it some day! In fact, it already is! The SAE probably won't and already isn't!

That's it, last week I sold a pile of these MS69 NGC Early Release (common date) SAE's and you know what? I got less apiece for graded NGC, MS69, SAE's than my wife got for some raw bullion grade Morgan dollars which are only 90% silver. That is correct. I got $21. apiece and she got $22 apiece.

This incident convinced me that I really do not care about these and am glad to be rid of them. I took the money and bought a raw AU, half eagle which may be worth more than I paid for it some day! In fact, it already is! The SAE probably won't and already isn't!

You can find them for $2.50 - $3 over spot.

I know, I bought these at about $8-$10 over spot as NGC graded MS69 when silver was $12/ounce. Now you can not even get melt for selling them! I actually lost money with a plus $16/ounce silver gain over the purchase price. Oh well, live and learn!