• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 DDO cent

8 posts in this topic

Well, Not much of a coin, but have had it since '68 or so, I was looking at it after I recieved my MS 67 one, and noticed something odd. I had never really noticed it before, I can't imagine how I missed it but there it is as plain as day.

I was jusut wondering if this is a common thing in the steels or not? Anyone have an answer? Thanks I still have not figured out how to put pictures in here sorry if it does not show up directly in the forum a>

Thanks I will try that next time. I tried using the HML part of it. Let's see..... 1943DDO052.jpg[/img]

Well, lets see if that works. Yes it did Thank you Much!

The coin I believe has been reprocessed. I am amazed at the doubling on the date.

It is obvious that it is not an MS 60 or anything

Would need a better closeup, but could very well be machine doubling which wouldn't carry a premium. On another note, the LIBERTY looks to have doubling? Any penny experts out there?

Actually, on closer examination, the R and T in liberty shows a sideway movement. And the IN GOD at the top of the letters is dropped down about .010 MAX. I do know that NGC recognizes DDO 43's I suppose I can hope anyway.

I understand about the machine doubling, but then if it was then would not the 1 in 1943 have the same ? It is as clear as a bell No movement in any direction whatsoever. I will have to work on a better picture, I actually lost some of the detail in the scan.

Kelly, thanks for the PM - found your post!

I believe your coins displays classic signs of "die erosion" doubling. While it technically is a form of "doubling", it isn't under the category of "mint errors".

Theoretically, such doubling isn't supposed to command a premium in the marketplace, and indeed, should actually be discounted, coming from worn and therefore "inferior" dies, but doubling that strong probably would find folks willing to pay more than standard retail.

Sorry I didn't see this thread before!