• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cornering the Market

13 posts in this topic

First, let me say that you just gave me a heart attack...

Second, it would cost that hypothetical billionaire much to his physical well-being.

Third, I estimate the financial cost of purchasing the coins to be somewhere around 25 million dollars.

EVP

It seems like there are possibilities to corner some tiny sections of the market.

Start with something fairly low mintage, but not too popular. Then check to see how many coins were graded above a certain level. Then buy them when you see them.

It should cost way less than 25 million to buy all PR 67 and above Mercury dimes that you can. How about proof 1907 Barber Dimes? Barbers seem less popular than the Mercs and have lower mintages.

Does anybody have any cool stories of people who have tried doing this?

How about this , Someone buying the 14,000 2002 Platinum 1/10 Ounce Coin's ?

Or the 9,500 2002 Platinum 1 Ounce Coin's ?

Granted they are not really numistic by nature , but to get one would still cost a small fortune .

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

About 25-30 years ago I saw a TV show in which the owner of two extremely rare stamps burned up the lesser of the two just to make his other specimen unique. OK, nobody gives a @* about stamps, but you can easily imagine the same thing happening with coins.

It was some detective show (Cannon, Kojak?). I haven't seen it since, though it's probably in rerun on some network.

How hard do you think it would be to corner the market on the 1836 RE half dollar in problem-free condition?

Or, the 1794 dollar (in any condition)?

Or, every 1799 8x5 dollar in EF or better?

Or, minus the 1859-O and 1860-O, every Seated Dollar in true UNC?

Or, every O or S mint Seated Quarter in AU or better?

EVP

There are a lot of series that aren't well-appreciated by collectors. Someone could definitely corner the market so to speak in those series, say Half Dimes or Half Cents, which don't always have the following of larger coins.

If I were rich, I'd start melting every Texas commem I could get my hands on to make mine worth more. laugh.gif

Seriously, I know someone who's essentially corned the market on original, problem-free high grade (EF+, I think) Early Dimes (not Capped Bust).

My buddies and I met him in Baltimore. Mark Borckardt was chatting with him after an evening session of the Logan material had finished, and we just walked right up and started to bow before him.

This guy, btw, is the same one who won the bidding war over the Logan edge mirrors.

EVP

Have seen a concerted effort to buy up a lot of the $5 Jackie Robinson commem in MS about a year or so ago. Price went up almost 80% in a fairly short time. Miniscule mintage makes it possible. Also there are other commems that I am aware of that are being accumulated in higher grade 66 or better where the pops are surprisingly low and the prices are not being reflected yet. You would be surprised at which ones and the total cost for a shot at a corner.

reagrds,

dealmakr