• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

large cent didn't grade??????

16 posts in this topic

I sent this in to PCGS hoping for a MS-65 and it came back BB saying the surfaces had been altered. I looked at it under a 20 x mag. glass and could't see anything wrong with it.1856largecent.jpg

Your outstanding images suggest that it has been whizzed, and the surfaces have re-acquired brown patina, whether naturally or by some sleight of hand. This would have been better suited for submission to NGC, so they could have indicated a "details" grade, since I think it has a chance of having mint-state details.

I agree, this coin has been cleaned in an attempt to bring back the original color, and in the process, they caused it to be ungradeable.

If ever there is a lesson about not cleaning coins, this certainly lends to that lesson.

I agree, great coin for $2, but you should have stopped there! :) I'd pay $2 to have that raw in one of my 7070 albums.

This would certainly be a fine addition in its inherent condition; not high value but great history.

Hi Dene,

You will find when you make a post about how incredulous you are over why a coin undergraded or got BB'd, that droves of "experts" will jump in and find all the reasons for you. It's our nature. We are confident in our opinions because the real experts already said so.

Next time show us the photos and ask us how it might grade and the replies will be wildly different.

That's a very pretty large cent. Perhaps too pretty. The colors are just a little unreal. And the surfaces show a touch of porosity, maybe something a doctor wanted improved.

Please sell it to me for my large cents Dansco. It would be very comfortable there. The great thing about collecting raw coins for a set is that you are the final say...no one can spoil it for you.

I'm sorry PCGS "genuined" it. Often we say "try again!". But in this case I think you will get the same results from resubmitting or trying a different TPG.

Tuition costs but the price can be very instructional. Better luck next time!

Lance.

Appreciate that reply and I totally agree with you. Been a coin collector for 40 years and understand the grading systems but I must be honest in saying I missed out totally on my opion of this large cetn as I saw a little wear on the reverse leaves but nothing on the obverse. I'm usually pretty good at grading(no expert by any means) and still learning but the only thoughts I had on that coin was the reverse showing wear on the leaves and a little on the hair by the ears on the obverse. I was sure it would grade a 64 or maybe a 65 but I was wrong and learned by this mistake. I'm putting it in my large cent Dansco book which is just about complete. All I need are a few more and I will have a complet collection. Bart