• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new commemorative

13 posts in this topic

(thumbs u I like the coin. Many of the the Commemoratives come very nice in lower grades.

Here is my example:

HugoObvA.jpg

A little history:

Upon the three-hundredth anniversary of the founding of New Netherland, a souvenir half-dollar was authorized. In 1626, the Dutch West India Company sent Peter Minuit as Director-General to the new settlement. A group of permanent colonists had arrived in New York harbor in the vessel “Nieu Nederland” in 1624 under Cornelius Mey, the first governor. Soon after his arrival in the New World, Minuit became friendly with the local Indians and purchased Manhattan Island for a nominal sum (reputedly twenty-four dollars) in the name of his Company.

There were other Huguenot-Walloon colonies in South Carolina and in Florida; however, the term “Middle States” in the Act refers only to New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware settlements. The settlement which centered about Manhattan Island was the most prosperous in later years. The colony was called New Netherland from the time of its settlement until 1664. In that year, after the territory had been torn from the possession of the Dutch, the name was changed, by the English, to New York, in honor of the Duke of York, who later ruled as James II.

FisrtNewNetherlanMapWpdms_aq_block_1614.jpg

Map made by Adriaen Block of is 1614 expedition to North America. It is the first map to show Long Island as an island. It is also the first appearance of the term “New Netherland” to describe the colony.

It is notable that the Act authorizes a coinage to commemorate an event, whereas the coin portrays persons only indirectly associated with the occasion.

va va va voooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

monster color

congrats you did REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well

does the coin have great lustre coming through the toning??

Thanks Shane and Skyman. Rember Skyman if you ever what to sell that liberty seated dime we spoke about, let me know. Bart