• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I say too much?

13 posts in this topic

I recently submitted this GSA to NGC for grading. This is the one I posted on this forum over a year ago looking for assistance and opinions in what to do with the case which had been covered (to the rim) with what I found to be laquer. As you may recall, I wanted to save her in the original GSA holder and spent many hours in the process.

Not knowing what I had, I first started trying to pull the laquer from only the actual coin area (just to see what she looked like) which formed a bowl in the laquer where the coin is. As you may remember, she got toxic and kept turning white across the complete front. Many here thought she needed cracked out. Instead, I tried one final step. Literally sanding down the layers of laquer until I made it through the white toxic area so she stayed clear. A little slab renew and the rest is history.

Now the rest of the story. I submitted the coin. I knew the holder was not perfect with the small bowl which formed in the middle. But besides that, what you see is what it looks like. Quite crisp and clean. A perfect view of the coin, no cracks, no scratches. Knowing the holder background, I enclosed the photo's seen here with a brief story of her resurrection. She came back un graded-Holder Issue. I guess it is what is. I thought grades were based on the coin, not the holder (and this holder looks good)? Is it standard operating procedure to BB a coin for holder issues (any kind of holder, any issues) or did I just say to much?

Chet

106755.jpg.ee42a1689e31c90fa1a998fa73f6fa09.jpg

106756.jpg.2a08011d27c5e585e664d7dc22798fdb.jpg

106757.jpg.c9c2251af91bdf23ae30aa1f0e09b20a.jpg

106758.jpg.369e246175f9af2dae82799a5b61fcfc.jpg

106759.jpg.f729aab2e556e81a87a1e8a2bf19c585.jpg

I'm sure they are concerned about slabbing that as a GSA since they think it may have been cracked and another coin put in there. That's just my guess.

If there is no longer any evidence that there was lacquer on it, then resubmit and see how it goes, without explanation. You never know.

Coindude

I am sure there is still laquer on the surface. I don't think the bowl bottom is down to the plastic. You really just can not tell. It polished up so well, I did not want to continue thinking I would reach the plastic and who knows what would happen..I call it a bowl but its really a round depression but it can be felt running your hand across. The reverse is plastic as it had a much smaller thickness and it was not laquer. A very smooth finish (no depression). Something much easier to remove..

Chet

Of course the grade is based upon the coin only, but that is not what you wanted nor what you paid for. You wanted the coin graded while still in the GSA holder and NGC had a problem with the GSA holder, thus they did not grade the coin. It is unlikely anything you wrote on the boards influenced the busy folks who grade these coins.

Hello Tom

Although dissapointed, I am not complaining with the no-grade. I was simply asking if this is considered the standard. GSA's are unique due to their original packaging so there is a difference. I took a chance. And after all is said and done, I am satisfied with the result with or without a grade (not cracking her out) Would a cracked or heavily scratched GSA be a no-grade?

As for my original post a year ago, my interest was in gaining opinions in what to do with this coin and holder (I purchased her knowing the issue).. And I received many responses.Many PM's on possible options. Influencing graders was not even on the radar. I have owned most of my coins from the original GSA sales and never had them graded (some recently). I shared this as a way of explaining (not influencing) the holder in its present form.

Some might say I told you so and thats ok as well. Now, have NGC crack her out, note GSA and put it one of their holders (if they would). Not for this collector. I would rather have her right where she is at. Grade or no grade..

Chet.

I would not have submitted before pictures of the funky holder to NGC as they were most likely concerned that there were chemicals on the holder that might cause the coins appearence to degrade in the future etc. Still a nice coin and a great job resurecting the holder... (thumbs u

First I would say nice 78 GSA, I would guess MS64 but there is a lot of chatter on the cheek.

Next I would say one possibility would be to send it to PCGS who would crack it out and put in a holder that denotes GSA and if you want one in the original holder sell that one and buy an ungraded one again that you like.

Or...you could send it to me for Christmas :whee:

Very interesting result, and one that I hadn't anticipated, but which makes sense. An important part of the value of the coin derives from the fact that it's still in the GSA holder, so it seems that NGC wouldn't want to endorse an item for which the value is impaired.

Notice I was careful to avoid the word "certify" ("endorse"), because NGC does not certify grades for GSA dollars in their government holders. They only "grade" them. Ironically, in that sense, you might think they would go ahead and grade the darned coin, since they aren't liable for the opinion anyhow.

Thanks for sharing your results!!

as they were most likely concerned that there were chemicals on the holder that might cause the coins appearence to degrade in the future etc.

I doubt that was what bothered them since they do not guarantee the grades on the coins graded in the GSA holders. I'm sure it was rejected simply because the holder had been tampered with.

Or submit it in the GSA slab and let them crack it out. They should then at least indicate that it was a GSA sale coin on the label.
If NGC thinks there is a problem with the holder, I don't think they would slab it as a GSA. I believe they think the holder was cracked and tampered with. That's my guess.

Or submit it in the GSA slab and let them crack it out. They should then at least indicate that it was a GSA sale coin on the label.
If NGC thinks there is a problem with the holder, I don't think they would slab it as a GSA. I believe they think the holder was cracked and tampered with. That's my guess.

You may be correct but I'm not a mind reader so I don't know what the NGC graders were thinking.