• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have no idea on this Washington Quarter

18 posts in this topic

Obviously, I bought it because I think it has a darn good shot of getting the PL. It is currently raw, and I paid $35 for it. But I really have a hard time grading Washington Quarters for some reason, so tell me what y'all think it might grade, as best you can with my pictures.

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7699.jpg

IMG_7701.jpg

Jason, I have to agree with you that it's PL, but that causes a problem, the PL surfaces show hairlines rather quickly. The pic you are showing is riddled with hairlines and could well be die polishing lines. But you have the coin in hand and would have to determine that for us. If those lines are not die polishing lines, I would think 61, but if they are then maybe a 64?

Jason, I have to agree with you that it's PL, but that causes a problem, the PL surfaces show hairlines rather quickly. The pic you are showing is riddled with hairlines and could well be die polishing lines. But you have the coin in hand and would have to determine that for us. If those lines are not die polishing lines, I would think 61, but if they are then maybe a 64?

I agree; they look like die polish lines but I can't tell 4 sure (could be badly hairlined). I'm gonna say MS 62, unless there is some wear there that is not evident from the photos.

Yes, they are die polish lines. The 40's era S mint PL's are characterized by incredibly heavy die polish throughout. Just to give y'all a comparison, this one is currently for sale by Doug, and it is graded MS-67 PL:

1947So46.jpg

1947Sr46.jpg

Obviously, I bought it because I think it has a darn good shot of getting the PL. It is currently raw, and I paid $35 for it. But I really have a hard time grading Washington Quarters for some reason, so tell me what y'all think it might grade, as best you can with my pictures.

Washingtons are tricky, and hard for some, to grade.

I would say yours has a good shot for a PL designation. Looks like a great strike, without a lot of wear or hits to it.

Very nice 47-s (thumbs u

When I saw the date on the obverse, I instantly knew it would be an "S" mint! To my recollection, the one in my album is somewhat prooflike as well.

Yours looks like at least a "gem" from here.

Astute observation, James: all of the silver Washie's graded PL by NGC have been S mints, and the large majority of these have been 47S.

I would be well pleased with a 66 PL on this one; I graded it 65 PL in hand, but this is a really difficult coin to grade.

I have two 47-S Washingtons. One I graded MS65 in hand, and could possibly be PL. The other one I picked up a few days ago I grade it MS63. The MS65 looks as good as your first one in the starting post of the thread.

When I saw the date on the obverse, I instantly knew it would be an "S" mint! To my recollection, the one in my album is somewhat prooflike as well.

Yours looks like at least a "gem" from here.

Astute observation, James: all of the silver Washie's graded PL by NGC have been S mints, and the large majority of these have been 47S.

I would be well pleased with a 66 PL on this one; I graded it 65 PL in hand, but this is a really difficult coin to grade.

I did indeed pull out my set last night. My 1947-S is very attractively toned, but even so, I can see that it is slightly prooflike, not nearly so much as yours is.

By the way, we didn't discuss later dates. My 1969-D is a dead ringer for proof coins of the era, and a couple of my other clad Denver coins in the early 1970s are significantly prooflike as well.

Excellent point, James - which is why I qualified only silver Washingtons.

Prooflike silver coins of the mid to late 20th century can generally be divided into three broad categories, and almost all PL coins fit into these three. The first is the 30's-50's era. Almost all PL's from this era are from the S mint, almost all are characterised by heavy die polish, and almost all have great reflectivity (there are several notable exceptions, such as the 1959 Franklin). These coins are also quite often from advanced die states. The second era is from about 1968-1974: PLs from this era are generally D mint coins. I do not own one from this era yet, so I really can't describe them, I'm just working from the Census here. The third and final era begins around 1984 and lasts through the present - almost all denominations, all mints, and almost all years have at least one or two PL examples graded. These are generally very high quality, early strikes, with deeply reflective mirrors.

Well I sent this coin in to NGC, and got the grade this morning. Apparently, I knew what I was doing a little better than I thought - in hand I graded it 65 PL. NGC agreed with me, and it is now on its way home in a fresh 65 PL slab.

Well I sent this coin in to NGC, and got the grade this morning. Apparently, I knew what I was doing a little better than I thought - in hand I graded it 65 PL. NGC agreed with me, and it is now on its way home in a fresh 65 PL slab.

:applause: (thumbs u