• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you purchase a bunch of AU58's or 1 MS64

Choice of Grades  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Choice of Grades

32 posts in this topic

There are many coin types that are fairly inexpensive in AU58, but quite a bit more expensive in MS64. The 1853 Arrows and Rays Half, as well as the Lafayette Dollar come to mind. AU58 is almost as good as MS64. Not really, but in many cases, it comes pretty close.

Given a choice, and assuming that you would spend the same money on either grouping, would you prefer to purchase a group of AU58 coins (thus having a variety) or one MS64 coins (thus having a more expensive coin).

There are many coin types that are fairly inexpensive in AU58, but quite a bit more expensive in MS64. The 1853 Arrows and Rays Half, as well as the Lafayette Dollar come to mind. AU58 is almost as good as MS64. Not really, but in many cases, it comes pretty close.

Given a choice, and assuming that you would spend the same money on either grouping, would you prefer to purchase a group of AU58 coins (thus having a variety) or one MS64 coins (thus having a more expensive coin).

Given the choice of 5 accurately graded AU58s vs. 1 MS64 of the same type, I would take the 5 AU pieces. It might vary by series but I tend to be more of a quantity hoarder than true numismatic collector anyways! :o

A similar question is would you rather have a few MS65's or one MS67! Franklins, Liberty Nickels and Washington Quarters come to mind for me. Depends on which way you want to take your collection.

I went for the MS64.

AU58 can represent a good value depending on the series and it's a great grade for collector coins. Many AU58's show virtually full design details and can be very attractive coins.

Years ago I would have voted for the AU-58s. At that time I was trying to complete my type set, and the 58s made sense. Now I'm upgrading so the MS-64 would be my choice, except for the fact the early coins have always been my first love, the "real number" is usually MS-61 or 62. And yes, the MS-61 and 62 coins I have bought were really Mint State IMO.

The average AU58 isn't for me, as I like AU58's that look MS64.

Yet I normally need to pay MS prices to obtain them and they do not become available often.

Just an example of a AU64...

6h8igy.jpg

As Broadstruck notes, an AU58 that looks like a 64, or a 63 is well worth the coin. The problem is, AU58 has such a wide range in eye appeal, strike, luster, amount of hits, etc., that not all AU58's are worth an AU58 price. Got to pick the right ones......

As Broadstruck notes, an AU58 that looks like a 64, or a 63 is well worth the coin. The problem is, AU58 has such a wide range in eye appeal, strike, luster, amount of hits, etc., that not all AU58's are worth an AU58 price. Got to pick the right ones......

Hence I selected the MS64 poll choice...

As I look for AU58's daily and in all of 2010 at shows or the web have not seen a single Super Slider example that was right for me.

I would ALWAYS go for the MS 64. Even though I am a collector first; I always think from an investment standpoint and quality always out-performs quantity in the long run. I must say, however, that I really like Seated Liberty coinage and this is one series, in which, AU 58's can look a whole lot like MS coinage and are VERY beautiful and eye-appealing with great strikes and luster. Super-sliders abound in this series. I know, b/c I have a couple of them in AU-50 and THEY even look great.

As for Erwindoc's question about the MS 65 verses the MS 67. I think that MS 65s can always eventually be found that would exemplify the perfect gem coin for a given Issue. The ONLY reason I would EVER buy a MS 67 are for registry points. I am ashamed to admit that but I would do it for a more common date; granted the fact that I didn't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

as well as the Lafayette Dollar come to mind. AU58 is almost as good as MS64. Not really, but in many cases, it comes pretty close.

I haven't seen a AU58 Lafayette that was comparable to a MS64.

Here's a MS62 which is as close as I found.

551444.jpg

I would ALWAYS go for the MS 64. Even though I am a collector; I always think from an investment standpoint and quality always out performs quantity inb the long run. I must say, however, tha t I really like Seated liberty coinage and that is one series in which AU 58's can look a whole lot like MS coinage and are VERY eye-appealing. I know b/c I have a couple of them. As for question about the MS 65 verses the MS 67. I think that MS 65s can eventually be found that exemplify the perfect coin for a given. The ONLY reason I would EVER buy a MS 67 are for registry points. I am ashamed to admit that I would do it for a more common date; granted if I didn't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

Investor mentality sets in a MS65 and up...

MS64's are more of a collector grade and shunned for investment by many, unless condition census they are still just Choice not Gem.

I could not vote on this poll. I collect the Bust series coins, so I would want the AU grades. In the Classic Commemoratives, which I also collect, I would not want any circulated grades.

I would ALWAYS go for the MS 64. Even though I am a collector; I always think from an investment standpoint and quality always out performs quantity inb the long run. I must say, however, tha t I really like Seated liberty coinage and that is one series in which AU 58's can look a whole lot like MS coinage and are VERY eye-appealing. I know b/c I have a couple of them. As for question about the MS 65 verses the MS 67. I think that MS 65s can eventually be found that exemplify the perfect coin for a given. The ONLY reason I would EVER buy a MS 67 are for registry points. I am ashamed to admit that I would do it for a more common date; granted if I didn't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

Investor mentality sets in a MS65 and up...

MS64's are more of a collector grade and shunned for investment by many, as they are still just Choice not Gem.

Depends on the coin that we're talking about here. For instance what if it is a key date coin such as a 1921-S, 1917-S Rev., 1921-D or 1919-D Walker in MS 64. Or how about a SLQ FH MS 64? Those would certainly be investment coins. Same goes for the 1853 A & R in MS 64. Those would ALL be investment coins for me (or anyone). :)

It depends on how you define "investor". If you intend to simply buy and hold, then a single MS-64 might be the way to go. However, you can "invest" much more wisely by buying a bunch of AU-58s and peddling them. Then, roll those profits into a bunch more 58s, and peddle them. In other words, I believe "turning inventory" is the better way to make more on an investment than "buy and hold". But it requires more work.

It depends on how you define "investor". If you intend to simply buy and hold, then a single MS-64 might be the way to go. However, you can "invest" much more wisely by buying a bunch of AU-58s and peddling them. Then, roll those profits into a bunch more 58s, and peddle them. In other words, I believe "turning inventory" is the better way to make more on an investment than "buy and hold". But it requires more work.

I'll buy that! :thumbsup: I've often done that very thing, then I had more money to buy more MS 64s lol

I'll buy that! :thumbsup: I've often done that very thing, then I had more money to buy more MS 64s lol

:roflmao:

Yet I normally need to pay MS prices to obtain them and they do not become available often.

I have long been willing to pay MS-60 money for the AU-58 coins that I REALLY like. To me a really attractive AU-58 is worth more than an ugly MS-60, even if the MS-60 (more likely MS-61 since the services rarely use MS-60) really is Mint State.

I have long been willing to pay MS-60 money for the AU-58 coins that I REALLY like. To me a really attractive AU-58 is worth more than an ugly MS-60, even if the MS-60 (more likely MS-61 since the services rarely use MS-60) really is Mint State.

Unfortunately the AU58's we like are mostly now in MS62 market graded holders :(

I voted as one MS64 because the contents of my collection reflect that choice better than five AU58 coins. Most AU58 coins are not nearly as nice as an MS64. Of course, not all MS64 pieces are spectacular, either. This isn't investor vs. collector mentality; this is what I prefer.

My favorite grade for Bust Half dollars is Au58. The highest grade Bust that I currently own is MS 63. If I could pick up a nice MS 64 for the right price I would choose that over purchasing other Au 58 Bust Half’s.

My reason for doing this would be to diversify my Bust Half collection to include an MS 64 coin.

Let me attempt to add some humor. Would you date 4 fat chicks that were on a diet, on 1 chick that was not fat?

:banana:

This is so wrong lol . With that said, there's more than just looks. I would rather date a heavy set girl with a decent personality than a pretentious snob who is thin. You can change your weight a lot more easily than your personality.

Nevertheless, I find your analogy hilarious. :roflmao:

I guess this would depend on your goals. If you only care about completing a set, then AU58s may be acceptable; however, if you are looking to reap profit (or at least sell your collection at a favorable price), then the MS64 is probably better.

I picked MS64. I'm a collector who is financially conscious. I guess you could call me a collector-investor.

Let me attempt to add some humor. Would you date 4 fat chicks that were on a diet, on 1 chick that was not fat?

Meatier along with less circulation would most likely qualify as MS64? doh!

it all depends on the specific coins

but in general in answer to the specific poll question

4 au-58 coins

i would myself rather date the 4 fat chicks but then they would need to be off the diet

and all would need to be morbidly obese