• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need you kind help with my new 1889-CC morgan.. TIA

13 posts in this topic

Hey all..

just got this one today. i have very little experience in grading, and i'm having a real hard time trying to determine the grade of this coin.

on the obverse, the cotton bolls are worn flat but the 2 lines in each are visible, and the cotton leaves also have very little details, so i thought it's maybe a strong F.

on the reverse, at least 3/4 of the left wing , and almost the whole right wing show detail. the breast featers are all worn and the breast is flat. again, i thought it's F.

But then i checked and saw the rim MUST BE COMPLETE on the obv AND the rev for a coin to grade G or higher

so I'm not sure if this is considered a full rim (5 to 7 o'clock on the obv, 7 to 9 on rev). i'm a little worried.

i'd appreciate your honest opinions, and your guess at the grade of this coin. thanks in advance.

scan0008.jpg

scan0007-Copy.jpg

btw, i don't know if it's relevant, but i paid $450 for this coin. from a trusted coin dealer i deal with for some time now. i'm pretty sure i won't have any problem returning it if anything

Thanks again, your help is appreciated.

have a good weekend and a great holiday season!

johnny

thanks

if so, the price i paid is still reasonable, but i am disappointed :(

kinda hoped it would pass as F.

oh well..

It's not an honest Fine. It is certainly VG though and maybe VG10.

I'm with James on this one VG-08. VG-10 on a real good day. With the rims as worn as they are , wouldn't have a chance at F.

It's definitely a nice example though and if submitted for grading, I think it might receive a numeric grade & not just a details/genuine grade

Welcome to the boards. Uneven wear coins really are hard to grade so I agree with your uncertainty.

As a rule, I go with the "minimum standard"..example: if it needs full rims for a Morgan to be graded F12..then if the rims are incomplete then it cannot be F...

Same with other series like Barber Halves: if it needs all visible letters of "LIBERTY" in the headband to be graded as F12-15, if one of the letters (usually the E or R) is unreadable, then even if the reverse feather detail and shield detail is strong enough for a F--it is still only a VG10 at best...