• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird NGC holder? Fake or what?

19 posts in this topic

This came up ats and is somewhat weird. It is in regards to an Ebay auction #140480680669 that has ended. It shows an 1889P Morgan Dollar in what claims to be an NGC holder as follows.

What is up with this? BTW---Happy Thanksgiving to all and especially to our troops at home and overseas--Thank You Men and Women!

Thanks

Jim

1889PMorganinNGCholderobv.jpg

1889PMorganinNGCholderrev.jpg

~puzzled look~ has the hollow gram, the clipped corners of the white coin holder has clipped corners. I'm sure there is a logical explanation for this off breed morphodite, there are experts among us.

It's a broken open NGC holder with a white PCI insert stuck inside along with a custom made insert and whatever coin they wanted to stick in there.

It's a broken open NGC holder with a white PCI insert stuck inside along with a custom made insert and whatever coin they wanted to stick in there.

That's what I thought. I have never seen a NGC slab with a diagonally cut insert (at the bottom on the obverse). What would the impetus for this be? The coin isn't that rare or valuable. Is someone just testing the waters? Has anyone alerted NGC?

Edited to add... I wonder if the coin has the same origin as the fake PCI old green holder slabs going around.

Where is Condor101 when you need him?

Still the best resource for identifying REAL NGC holders.....which this "thing" is not.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2248404&page=1#Post2248404

Written by Condor101, of course.

Where is Condor101 when you need him?

Condor101 is attending the MSNS fall show in Dearborn MI, we parted company at about 2:00 PM today.

Personally I agree that the NGC slab depicted is suspect. The label is clearly homemade, in my opinion.

As Pennyguy said I've been out of town. And I agree with what has been posted here, tampered with slab that has an NGC hologram but the insert is HALLMARK/PCI/DGS style.

Thanks all for your replies. I knew this couldn't be real, but this seller was risking an unblemished sales record with the statement:

1889-P SILVER DOLLAR NGC MS63 "FIRST HOLDER" "RARE"!

I thought surely this cannot be. It looked so corny and homemade. This seller will be responsible for this coin and will get it back for sure, I would figure. I'll watch the feedback to see.

Thanks again.

Jim

The buyer left positive feedback for this purchase & I felt obligated to let the buyer know that this slab wasn't legit. Here's the message that I sent him/her :

Hello c*******n. I'm just a friendly E-bayer here, and wanted to let you know that the 1889 Morgan dollar that you recently purchased is NOT in an NGC first generation holder. NGC has never made a holder(slab) like that. I'm not saying that the coin is counterfeit or the grade is incorrect, but it is definitely a tampered holder which appears to be pieced together by using other parts, inserts, etc.

There was a discussion over at the NGC Collector's society chat boards regarding this same item which I think you should take a look at. Here is the thread regarding the item you purchased as well as a helpful thread depicting all of NGC's slabs throughout the years.

I sent over a link with this thread as well as a link to Condor's thread with all the varieties of NGC slabs

Once the seller left feedback or vice versa, you can see who won the item.

That's exactly what I did Sam. The buyer left the feedback, the seller did not

And Jes, I intentionally starred-out the buyer's name. The buyer's feedback for this item was " All went great, Thank you" which appears their standard reply that they leave for sellers.

I just received a response from the buyer that read:

"Thank you for the info. I presumed something was out of place as in an old holder it would not have had a Hologram. I took a chance because the item did not cost much. It apears to be a solid MS-63 but nothing exciting. Thanks for the link. Sincerely C**t."

Hopefully he'll check out Condor's slab variety thread and become a pro at recognizing questionable slabs. :) I actually have that thread bookmarked and check it out from time to time when some of the fonts on certain slabs look a bit funny