• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about the ngc pop census

10 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am new to collecting certified coins. I was studying the ngc population report on morgan dollars because they are generous enough to give it out for free to new collectors like myself. I was wondering what the * stood for when for example they would print MS65 MS65* with two numbers for each, the MS65* population being very small or nonexistint. example: Year/ Mint Den Variety Desig Total PrAG G VG F VF 40 45 50 53 55 58 60 61 62 63 63* 64 64* 65 65* 66 66* 67 67* 68 68* 69 69* 70 Thanks.

Then they arbitrarily create extreme rarities at their discreation? I assume the * is on the holder.

PaulM,

Let me elaborate a little on RWW's answer to your question. NGC lists the '*' designation on the holders label for coins that have eye appeal above what would be conceded average for the coins assigned grade. The coin may be toned or white, but it will possess a quality well above the norm. For instance, if it is toned it will have monster toning, or if it is a white coin it may have super blast luster, something that jumps out at you.

I own a couple of coins with the ‘*’ designation and have seen a good number of others in person, and I can tell you that I have never seen a coin that NGC has given the star to that has not been something special. The kind of coin that when you see it you think WOW!

Are they arbitrarily creating extreme rarities at their discretion? I don’t really think so. Coins with this type of eye appeal are already rare in their own right, and most collectors know a coin with outstanding eye appeal when they see one no matter what companies holder it may be in, or even if it is raw for that matter, and most know that coins with that kind of eye appeal 99 times out of 100 do not sell for sheet money.

So overall, I just think it is NGC's way of saying WOW! This coin is NICE!

BTW, Welcome to the board !

John

PaulM

Just got here

Reged: 03/13/04

Re: Question about the ngc pop census [Re: RWW]

#423184 - 03/13/04 05:02 PM Edit Reply Quote

Then they arbitrarily create extreme rarities at their discreation? I assume the * is on the holder.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

as per the above post

a

totally thoughtless

unnecessary generalization

based on no facts

no expertise

no experience

before you make statements you had better get your facts straight

an UNTRUE attack on NGC

or to put it nicely a thoughtless reply

michael

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

as per the above post

a

totally thoughtless

unnecessary generalization

based on no facts

no expertise

no experience

before you make statements you had better get your facts straight

an UNTRUE attack on NGC

or to put it nicely a thoughtless reply

michael

Hold on now.... It was not my intention to offend anyone including NGC with my question. It was a not a statement, just a question by someone trying to learn more. I apoligize to anyone who was offended. You are correct that I have little expertise and no experience with certified coins. That is why I'm asking questions. Yesterday afternoon I had no idea what the star designated. Eye apeal, in my opinion, is in the eye of the beholder. Just an opinion, not necessarily a fact.

In wanting to learn more about the star coins, I found this '80 S on the boards. In my opinion it has a lot of WOW factor. And then I was thinking that that star really does mean something. And then on ebay I found this '81 S and I thought that is certainly a nicely toned coin but doesn't quite have the same WOW factor as that '80 S.

All things considered, I think it's fair to say that the '80 S and the '81 S are as close to apple to apple comparison as two different Morgan dates can be. Both of these coins being graded in MS66 with a star do you guys think that the eye appeal has similar exceptional qualities? (just a question, not an argument, statement or attack).

Thanks

PaulM

You asked a perfectly appropriate question and I think you have received the answer.

Michael who is one of the kindest and most knowledgeable collectors just forgot that you were a newbee. Keep asking questions that is one the purposes of this board. smile.gif