• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade opinion on this Peace

21 posts in this topic

First off I think it looks as tho' it been dipped. It has luster but it's not as much as most my Morgans. Also was wondering if this is a weak strike or worn. Do you have a grade for it? Thanks for any help.

1925PeaceObvRev.jpg

I don't believe I see any wear. The two places I would look would be her cheek and the eagle's shoulder - and I don't see any discoloration there. As for the luster - it is entirely possible that the luster may just be weak. This will limit the grade, of course.

I would probably give that Peace a 62 based solely on those pictures.

I like the crisp strike and I don't see any wear. The surfaces are also very clean but I see what you mean about the luster. It does look muted. I'd still say that this Peace Dollar is a solid MS 63.

The obverse is fairly struck nice profile though lacking hair detail which is a secondary focal area. The reverse shows a weak strike--lack of feather details and weak lettering. Very typical for this year. Clean fields on both sides. Obverse spot does not detract from grade.

The photos don't show any rub. IMHO you have a MS63-64 that had it's luster diminished by an old dipping.

$ilverHawk

My first impression was AU58 to Ms60 (Almost zero experience or knowledge of the Peace Dollar) BUT, Reading the other post, I would up the grade to 63.

I don't even own a single Peace 1$ and that has got to end soon!

Cheers,

OP

Nice common coin overall. I don't see evidence of a dipping, not a lot of wear on the high points of the relief, luster is on the weak side but evident.

I would guess this grade to be MS63, could go 64 but I think 63 is more like it.

Appreciate ya'lls help. I'm not very good with peace dollars and I got this in one of those "The Silver Story" folders. I was surprised to see a nice Peace and Morgan dollar in the set. Most often swap them out for worn dollars.

dipped out peace dollar (tens of thousands out there so what??)

just a generic peace dollar

somewhere between choice unc+ to gem unc

What do mean "so what". This is my coin and I asked for help on it. If you have no appreciation for common type coins, then don't comment!

Looks like a nice coin, Bobby. I gave the 62 based on how I interpreted the luster from the pictures. In hand, of course, it may very well be a 64! Don't let anyone get you down on this coin, looks just fine to me :)

Looks like a nice coin, Bobby. I gave the 62 based on how I interpreted the luster from the pictures. In hand, of course, it may very well be a 64! Don't let anyone get you down on this coin, looks just fine to me :)

Thanks Jason. It's just a peace dollar in a folder that I was looking at and thought looked decent. Put it in this forum, which it was designed for, and thought I'd give people something to look at and ponder. I have no interest in getting it graded or selling it. I thought it was worn also and have learned a little more about strike on these from the helpful members here that have given their opinions. (thumbs u

Missed the purpose of the thread and member's request for meaningful thoughts and opinions.

I love Peace Dollars and think yours is a solid 63 with a shot at 64. Average strike and muted luster make me think 63+ is a fair grade.

P.S. I find it odd that many love common date Morgans but common date Peace rarely get any respect.

I consider the Peace Dollar to be the Rodney Dangerfield of 20th Century coinage.

That was quite rude, Michael. Bobby didn't claim the coin was rare or other than common. He asked for grade opinions.

I agree with michael in general, because the luster isn't easy to judge from this image. Carbon spots and some fairly significant surface grazes at the obverse lower right make me lean toward MS-63.

Overall I think you got a nice coin. Hard to tell but there looks to be an impairment on the reverse above the eagle's head that runs into the lettering. Can't tell if it is a blemish, corrosion, etc. I would grade MS61 or MS62. That is my guess!

Bobby, this 1925 Peace dollar appears to me to be a late die state strike with a white coin toning and low-luster that is pretty common with long term bag stored P-Mint, Peace dollars. Usually though, 1925-P peace dollars are well struck and have more radiating luster than this coin. Surfaces also have some black specs and small luster breaks that are more noticeable because of the white toning on the coin surfaces. This is about all that I can get from this coin's scan quality.