• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you saw this coin at an antique mall...

14 posts in this topic

What would you do if you found this coin sitting in a case at an antique mall? You look around the booth that it is located in and it notice that the stuff belongs to a museum that has recently closed its doors. You do not have any referance books with you and you are about 6 hours from home. The tag on the old brittle plastic holder says "Unknown token from 1652" And is priced pretty cheaply.

I figured this would make for good conversation lol

IMG_3245a.jpg

IMG_3244a.jpg

I would have asked if they had one with "XII" on the reverse to match?

Poor thing is badly damaged, but if genuine and the price was right, you got a good steal! Submit to NGC - they should be able to tell you.

Looks like corroded pot metal. Digits are also the wrong shape. Just because it was at a museum doesn't mean it was real. It may have been a no-real coin used as an illustration.

Silver can corrode, but it doesn’t look like that when it does. My take from the picture is that the piece is a base metal copy of a Massachusetts silver piece. I’d pass unless they are selling it for $5 or less. There it would be worth the study time. There are a lot markers on the piece that would make attributable in Noe (the classic die variety book on Mass. silver), but since I’ve not memorized Noe varieties, that would not do me much good if I didn’t have the book.

It's a base metal copy so I don't know that I would have paid very much. If the museum thought it was from 1652 and could not attribute it then we might have a little bit of the reason that it is now closed.

I wouldn't have even noticed what it was or is and probably would've just passed it by. I don't have any interest in these types so they don't really stand out to me if I seen one anyway.

fake oak tree six pence

for 2 dollars or less sure i would buy it!!

a great conversation piece

the part about an old museum de-aqusitating it would be worth the $2 spent

which museum is it??

the museum of liars and bull-ters??