• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Grade of "Dingy"???

16 posts in this topic

I just received the results of a recent submissin on some Roosies and one was tagged as "dingy". Does anyone have any idea what this means? It was a nicely toned coin and I thought it would star but needless to say NGC didn't agree, which they has been the case lately more times than not.

Thanks,

Brian

According to the results online it didn't receive any grade, just dingy. I thought that was odd also. I'm starting to wish PCGS would start a designation similar to NGC's "star" designation. I have sent some nice coins in only to have them returned in a normal holder with a card telling me what a "star" designated coin should look like. What do you do!

Thanks, check my Roosie set, I've seen a few star quality coins

Oh, I know that you have an astounding set. Thats why I'm even more surprised that you would get a "dingy" coin and expect it would get a star. Of course, I don't know what this coin actually looks like - there are many cases where I think the graders at NGC need to recalibrate as well.

Physics fan, I didn't mean to come across standoff'ish. I believe the coin I sent in (need to see it to be for sure) had some nice obverse toning and was mottled with a little gray on the reverse but I'm still not sure why they wouldn't grade it. They grade old, used & dark Morgans (I love Morgan dollars by the way) everyday. Maybe it was because it was a modern coin. I will let you know once I talk to NGC.

I'm overseas right now for a couple more weeks so it will more than likely be December by the time I pass an update.

Isn't dingy a blond female?

Bugmann, I had to laugh when I saw it also...what's next? Here is the line from my submission form:

002 1953 D 10C DINGY

I don't have a picture of the coin at the moment but I will try to eventually post one. What's next..dirty?

Brian

Blond females can be dingy AND dirty.

Bugmann, I had to laugh when I saw it also...what's next? Here is the line from my submission form:

002 1953 D 10C DINGY

I don't have a picture of the coin at the moment but I will try to eventually post one. What's next..dirty?

Brian

What ever happened? Did the coin make it into a slab? If no, are you going to dip it and retry or leave the coin raw?