• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New pix old coin, 1944D War nickel.

15 posts in this topic

The first toned coin I ever got specifically as a toner, circa 1990, was a 1944D Mercury in PCGS (rattler) MS66FB. In 2005 I was wandering the bourse at the SF ANA show and saw this coin. It was graded MS66*5FS and it just seemed to me to be the right coin to match up with the Merc (although the Merc has NOWHERE near as nice toning as this one). Of course, two coins starts a set if you are OCD about coins, so over time I've added a '44D Walker and Washington, to the date/mm set, both toned and in MS66... just the Lincoln to go... The images were done by Shane Canup and I think he did an excellent job.

scJeff44Dsm.jpg

scJeff44D2sm.jpg

scJeff44Drevsm.jpg

Even with my best efforts the images do not do this coin justice...it's in the older NGC slab and I just couldn't get the whole obverse lit up...it is truly one of the finest nickels on the planet and it will be a dark day in my house when I have to mail it back :P

(thumbs u

oH yeah! The toning is magnificent and with that booming luster... just gorgeous.

Jefferson nickels can create some impressive toning, they are rare but findable.

As someone whose entire collection revolves around rainbow toned Jefferson Nickels, I find it depressing that I don't own that coin. All of the compliments paid to that coin in this thread are well deserved and that might actually be the finest toned Jefferson on the planet. Perhaps the only one I have that comes close is this 1941-D.

JeffersonNickel1941-DNGCMS67Star-18.jpg