• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Natural toning or not?

15 posts in this topic

I met a local younger guy who has a few albums for sale and most of the coins have toning with the same colors as shown but in different patters.

He said the coins belonged to his father who has passed away and he knows nothing about the coins/toning.

He did mention they where stored in the attic for many years (here in So-cal its almost always going to be hot in an attic)

I had an odd feeling about the coins, but I did buy a few and told him I would call him back later to buy the rest.

So the question is do you think the toning is natural or not?

Thanks for the help!

DSC_0097-1.jpg

DSC_0098-1.jpg

Doesn't look natural to me. The spotting on the rev is what kind of gives me this impression. Silver can tone pretty nice colors but these look off to me. Others that are better than I am between distinguishing AT from NT I'm sure will chime in.

Doesn't look natural to me. The spotting on the rev is what kind of gives me this impression. Silver can tone pretty nice colors but these look off to me. Others that are better than I am between distinguishing AT from NT I'm sure will chime in.

I Found this NGC 65 star graded coin and it looks to have "spotting" as well but i think it may be a little smaller then on this coin.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=69031&Lot_No=61355#Photo

lf.jpg

Just because toning is caused by an album doesn't mean it won't get bagged. I think this has only a 50/50 chance at grading, even though I personally like the color somewhat. But the toning pattern does seem suspicious to me. Someone could very easily AT some coins and then put them in an album to make them seem acceptable.

I think it's MA.....I could see something like that being created but I have seen plenty of natural pieces with similar colors and patterns so based solely on the images I would give it good odds that it would holder if submitted.

I do not plan on getting the coin slab because one or two things. First its not worth it to me, the coin has many scratches and other issues, second I wanted to put it back in the album because the set is complete. All the coins shearing finger prints and toning. But for the price I am going to be paying I do not mind the small chance they are AT.

Thanks for the help guys, I am really trying to work on my ability to see and diagnose doctored coins. This all started when I saw my first fake 1909 S VDB (it was an added VDB of all things). At that point I did not know about toning at all and had tried my best to stay away from it. But as time has gone on and I have learned more, I now see toned coins can be an amazing rewarding part of coin collecting but I do not want to get burned at the same time.