• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lower grade 19 century type set or higher grade 20 century type set???

9 posts in this topic

you have a certian amount of money

and you can put together only one of the two sets

which do you choose????

an average grade say good to au/unc. 19 century type set

or you can do the 20 century type set but at a much higher average grade vf to GEM unc.

which do you choose and why??

michael

421665-1860halfdime.jpg.f0bf8e0b6adcbc25cc3800dca393d7cd.jpg

If I could afford MS or Proof Mercs, Walkers, and Saints, and MS SLQs- I would go with the 20th century set, as those coins would be very beautiful in MS or Proof. Otherwise, I would go with the 19th century set, just for the sheer variety of the coins.

Michael,

I would go with the 20th century type set only because I really like the detail of higher grade coins. This is not to say that I don’t like 19th century coins, just that in general for my money I would rather have an AU to gem coin than a good to VF coin.

Of course this is not to say that I would only buy higher grade coins. For instance, when I was putting my Morgan dollar set together I bought the 1893s in F12 and the 1889cc in VF because I did not want to spend the money for higher grade examples.

Basically what I try to do is buy the highest grade that I can afford or justify.

John

Do I really need to tell you?

Although, if you want a real challenge- how about a super Low Grade 20th Century set? Try finding a Memorial Lincoln in VG.

It all depends on whether you include the Gold! The 20th century designs would have the added bonus of two gold designs (Liberty + Saint-Gaudens/BLP designs), though you'd be giving up the gold dollar and $3. Honestly, the 19th century has SO MANY types I'm not sure it's even feasible for the average collector in low grades! 893frustrated.gif

The problem for me with a 20th Century Set is that you get a mix of the most beautiful designed coins in US history along with some of the WORST. That is probably the main reason I'm not interested in Type Sets.

I'd much rather work on a date set of designs I like....

jom

Do I really need to tell you?

Although, if you want a real challenge- how about a super Low Grade 20th Century set? Try finding a Memorial Lincoln in VG.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

easy ... just keep rubbing it till you get it to vg....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++