• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Updated: 1879-S Morgan - In-hand pics added

20 posts in this topic

Please grade and comment. These are the seller's images and all I have at the moment.

Got her today and added in-hand pics on the next page.

1879-SMorgan.jpg

hard to tell from the image, but i think this coin may be a PL, it appears to be pretty reflective. As far as grade goes i would say an easy MS64, maybe a 65. Since we are seeing more "+" grades around i am going with a MS64+ PL

Okay....

So I'm a complete beginner at Coin Grading and this is my first attempt... so you can probably ignore everything from here on out.

Based on everything I've learnt so far (keeping in mind my source of knowledge is the rambling of my father-in-law and several other "senior" friends and a few choice internet pages).

Here goes -

Obverse - The strike is good with clear lines and good detail in the hair and specifically around the ear. I see some wear on the cheek, chin and neck, along with the very back of the head (I would imagine, although I'm not too familiar with Dollars that these areas are the high points on the surface). There does appear to be a mark (could be on the slab) crossing from the lips in a rotated infinity symbol (for want of a better description) to the eye. It’s difficult to tell from the pictures but there could be a couple of nicks on the neck also.

Reserve - Again clean strike with breast feathers evident. There appears to be some wear near the wing tips.

It’s a nice looking coin. It doesn't appear to have been circulated (at least not widely) so an MS grade would be appropriate. With that said I believe it might be MS60 - 61.

Of course, as I said I might be way off as I'm a total newbie.

Okay....

So I'm a complete beginner at Coin Grading and this is my first attempt... so you can probably ignore everything from here on out.

Based on everything I've learnt so far (keeping in mind my source of knowledge is the rambling of my father-in-law and several other "senior" friends and a few choice internet pages).

Here goes -

Obverse - The strike is good with clear lines and good detail in the hair and specifically around the ear. I see some wear on the cheek, chin and neck, along with the very back of the head (I would imagine, although I'm not too familiar with Dollars that these areas are the high points on the surface). There does appear to be a mark (could be on the slab) crossing from the lips in a rotated infinity symbol (for want of a better description) to the eye. It’s difficult to tell from the pictures but there could be a couple of nicks on the neck also.

Reserve - Again clean strike with breast feathers evident. There appears to be some wear near the wing tips.

It’s a nice looking coin. It doesn't appear to have been circulated (at least not widely) so an MS grade would be appropriate. With that said I believe it might be MS60 - 61.

Of course, as I said I might be way off as I'm a total newbie.

Based on your description, it would probably grade 63 or 64. The abrasions you see on her face are bag marks which won't limit the grade too much unless they are very severe. Bag marks are very common on Morgans since 150 million or so never saw the light of day until the Treasury releases of the 60' & 70's.

I'll give you B for grading, A- for analysis and A+ for desire.

Chris

By the way, welocome to the neighborhood!

PDW - if you see what you interpret as any wear at all, an MS grade is automatically out. There are two key skills required to answer a post like this: interpreting a photo, and grading a coin. Don't worry, they will both come with time and practice!

hard to tell from the image, but i think this coin may be a PL, it appears to be pretty reflective. As far as grade goes i would say an easy MS64, maybe a 65. Since we are seeing more "+" grades around i am going with a MS64+ PL
That pretty much echos my impression of the coin.

Thank you for all the comments. I picked this up last night on eBay. It was a BIN for $129.95 and free shipping + Double eBay Bucks good for a 4% kickback.

Although the pics aren't great, the frost and semi-PL surfaces make this an attractive coin to me. While she might not be a strong technical 65, for $125 I couldn't pass her by......

NewPicture-5.jpg

A little late, but I would have guessed it a MS64 with the bag marks on the focal points.

Just my opinion but I think you could find a better MS65 for the same money in this year/mint.

Thank you for all the comments. I picked this up last night on eBay. It was a BIN for $129.95 and free shipping + Double eBay Bucks good for a 4% kickback.

Although the pics aren't great, the frost and semi-PL surfaces make this an attractive coin to me. While she might not be a strong technical 65, for $125 I couldn't pass her by......

It could very well be a strong 65, for all we know. Sadly, the images just don't allow us to get a strong impression.

Thanks for the comments. In hand I'd grade her 65(-). It's not one that likely would get the Green CAC bean but it's still a very nice coin. $125 was a fair price to me.

From your much-improved images, it very much does look MS-65, but maybe a little more scritchy-scratchy than and ideal "gem".

Please note the latest addition to the numismatic vernacular.

Chris

From your much-improved images, it very much does look MS-65, but maybe a little more scritchy-scratchy than and ideal "gem".

Please note the latest addition to the numismatic vernacular.

Chris

Heck, that term has shown up before in printed catalogs by a certain St. Louis based auction firm :baiting: .