• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade My Photos/Coin? 1948-D 50c Raw

9 posts in this topic

Some of you guys take great photos I am trying to get up to par.

Photos using All manual setting I am using a small aperture to help with depth of field and low ISO settings. All setting are manual I forgot to set the WB before letting the bulb heat up so its a little off for me but I hope you like them

If you feel the photos are lacking please give an explanation what your looking for.

test2.jpg

test1.jpg

I think the photo is superb with excellent lighting (no hot spots) and perfect focus. Work on the white balance a bit and reduce the size to 800 x 800 and I'll give you an A+.

The coin looks MS64 to me. MS65 without the rust spots.

The photo's are large and crystal clear - they look very good to start with. The biggest thing you want to show on an uncirculated coin is the luster - and getting the lighting just right for this can be incredibly difficult. You coin looks like an MS-63. For comarison, here is my 65-FBL:

947978_Full_Obv.jpg

947978_Full_Rev.jpg

Yes its interesting that some of you pointed out the lighting I am using an axial lighting setup (homemade) that allows for no hotspots on the coin. I do have 3 other lamps that mount on my copy stand so I can take photos with traditional lighting methods. I just like how you can see the flow lines around a large part of the rev due to the lighting setup, I also like the higher contrast given in my current setup when compared to my multiple light attempts.

Personally I like the toning how it is, I find it rare to find coins in this natural state. I will do my best to keep this coin away from dip and/or NCS for now.

The photo's are large and crystal clear - they look very good to start with. The biggest thing you want to show on an uncirculated coin is the luster - and getting the lighting just right for this can be incredibly difficult. You coin looks like an MS-63. For comarison, here is my 65-FBL:

I really do like the coin you have posted above I like how it has great natural surfaces with hints of color pecking through. I am not one for largely monster toned rainbows, but I really dont like Blast white coins as well, just dont like the Unnatural feel.

In response to your photos I can see your using what looks like 2 lights at I am guessing 20-30 inches away at the closest thing you can get to a right angel? Although I have tried setups like the above as I have yet to go for a 150mm+ macro I end up getting my camera very hot over time. So at this point till I get a zoom macro ($400+) I think I am going to have to stick with current setup giving me the positive of no hotspots and the negative of what most people see as unusually uniform lighting.

The only thing bad about axial lighting is that it shows the coin as being flat, sort of like a plate. In order to achieve a level of depth, show contours of the design and luster, some shadowing is needed. Axial lighting doesn't provide for that. It is useful for photographing monster toned coins.

1962obv726.jpg

1953obv636-1-1.jpg

1958frankobv715-1.jpg

1955obv656.jpg

1551000-005O-1.jpg