• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mercury Dime: Guess the Grade

14 posts in this topic

Just picked this one up in an old ANACS slab. Give me your grade guesses. This one will be going to NGC, as I think it is undergraded right now (although, I'm not good at grading these tiny coins). Incidentally, I think the obverse picture is one of the best photo's I've ever done, and absolutely perfectly captures the coin accurately.

105348.jpg.6c0d0afaada8618fa2649d406c2a7d65.jpg

105349.jpg.142afdce7977312ba4fe5b137228cf85.jpg

I think the chatter on the cheek, neck and in the field in front of the chin would limit this to a 65. It does appear to be FB though. On another note, it might just be the angle of the lighting that makes the chatter stand out.

Great guesses everyone. ANACS graded this (old white slab) at MS-63 FSB PL (which is obviously why I bought it.)

I agree with James when he says the reed marks limit it to a 65. My personal grade on it is MS-65 FSB PL. In hand, it is definitely fully reflective, fully prooflike. The pictures capture the mirrored fields as well as you can in a picture, but this is really something you need to evaluate in hand (almost more than any other trait in a coin, excepting hairlined proofs).

Thanks for the guesses everyone - and you can feel free to speculate what NGC will call it when I eventually submit it.