• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eisenhower Proofs

7 posts in this topic

I am beginning to put together a collection of Eisenhower Proofs and am still in the "learning stages" about this coin. I have noticed that NGC has only graded 3 as PF70UC as opposed to PCGS which has graded more than a handful at this grade but not what I would call a bunch. My first question is, was the mint that far "off" in producing a PF70UC quality coin for this era. From what I read, producing this large of coin in a clad composition was most difficult. I would think that there must be more 70's out there somewhere, but am I wrong?

Secondly, is it just because NGC hasn't had that many Ike's submitted is the reason why they ONLY have graded 3 as PF70UC ?

thanks in advance for your time in responding.

moondoggy

Both TPGs have their own standards of what meets the MS/PR-70 grade for any denomination and one is less restrictive than the other.

MPO, you can get good quality PR Ikes in PR65-69 for a better price than any over priced PR-70, and they are just as good looking too, and yes there are UCAMs in the lower PR grades to be had.

My collection of Ike proofs are PR65-68, and all were reasonably priced and are a great collection.

There are still tons of Ikes available, and if you have the time and patience, you might just find a PF70 (raw) still in a set. The reason you don't see a lot of them graded is that for many of the collectors, other than those who are building Registry Sets, the cost of submission isn't justified.

And yes, if you are looking for specimens already graded PF70UCAM, the premiums being asked aren't justified either. If the time ever came that you would sell these coins, you would be lucky to get your money back.

Chris

Some other things you need to consider.

Cameo proofs ar not seen on a regular basis until 1973 or later. Before that year they are rather hit or miss.

Proof coins with heavy cameo are uncommon before the late 1970's.

Proof coins before the late 90's are usually not to the same quality standards as todays proofs. If you look through the pop reports you will probably find a steep drop off of PF70's for all series as you go back before th late 90's let alone 70's with deep or ultracameo.

While you will find 68's and some 69's, you might want to keep in mind that ten years ago coins in these grades really didn't exist. Back then about the best you were able to get were PF-67's. Grading standards do change.

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. All provided some great insight for me.

That is what I really enjoy about our boards. Friendly people who share their experience and knowledge.

Again thank you

moondoggy

MPO, you can get good quality PR Ikes in PR65-69 for a better price than any over priced PR-70, and they are just as good looking too, and yes there are UCAMs in the lower PR grades to be had.

My collection of Ike proofs are PR65-68, and all were reasonably priced and are a great collection.

You can find very nice Proof 68-69 at reasonable price. I have a set of PR69 UC's (and only one Cameo). Even the on Cameo is a nice looking coin.

BTW: I may sell this set except for the 1976 coins. PM me if you are interested.

Scott

You can find very nice Proof 68-69 at reasonable price. I have a set of PR69 UC's (and only one Cameo). Even the on Cameo is a nice looking coin.

BTW: I may sell this set except for the 1976 coins. PM me if you are interested.

Scott

My collection of Ikes is complete, including both varities from 1976.