• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone win anything in the Scotsman auction?

12 posts in this topic

Yes, I did, but not nearly everything I wanted. One lot I picked up was the group of Conder tokens, as I needed a number of them for my collection, but it went for a lot more than I expected.

The lots I REALLY wanted were several groups of Walking Liberty half-dollars, which would have given me numerous upgrades, but I got so completely blown out of the water that I'm still hearing the ocean.

Bidding was extremely strong in my opinion, and I saw nothing but ear-to-ear grins on the faces of every member of the Scotsman auction team.

By the way, the auction room was insanely packed. I am not joking - there were no seats left once bidding started, and there was a line of people standing up in the back. I'm surprised the fire marshal didn't show up! Copper guys showed up in droves, and it wasn't till after the large-cents were finished that they cleared out, freeing up enough room to at least give everyone a place to sit.

I was so blown away that I gave up after the halves finished up, so I don't know how Morgans or gold did. Just guessing, I'd say close to 90% of lots sold, most of them to the floor.

Yes, I did, but not nearly everything I wanted. One lot I picked up was the group of Conder tokens, as I needed a number of them for my collection, but it went for a lot more than I expected.

The lots I REALLY wanted were several groups of Walking Liberty half-dollars, which would have given me numerous upgrades, but I got so completely blown out of the water that I'm still hearing the ocean.

Bidding was extremely strong in my opinion, and I saw nothing but ear-to-ear grins on the faces of every member of the Scotsman auction team.

By the way, the auction room was insanely packed. I am not joking - there were no seats left once bidding started, and there was a line of people standing up in the back. I'm surprised the fire marshal didn't show up! Copper guys showed up in droves, and it wasn't till after the large-cents were finished that they cleared out, freeing up enough room to at least give everyone a place to sit.

I was so blown away that I gave up after the halves finished up, so I don't know how Morgans or gold did. Just guessing, I'd say close to 90% of lots sold, most of them to the floor.

I'm glad to hear that it was largely successful. Maybe next time, you could charge admission thus giving me a better chance with my online bids.

Chris

I bid aggressively on the half cents, until they were way over market value, but lost on all, without seeing the coin in hand, can't really justify going above MV, but some of these looked simply amazing online for their grades, nice descriptions by James (?) also.....

Glad it was a successful auction.

And James, the simple solution is: next time, don't write such good descriptions of the lots you want ;)

So James, you won the Conder group, eh? You outbid me by only $25, good show, no hard feelings.

Excellent descriptions, and I believe that buyers appreciate your honesty and accuracy. This obviously translates into more bids and stronger sales. Have you asked for a raise yet? This may be a good time...

I had bids on about a dozen lots and was shut out on all of them. I really wanted Lot # 932 (a $20 - Coronet DE 1884-CC PCGS VF-35) but my wife claims that the house needs a new roof.

Oh, c'mon, it's only leaking a little... :grin:

There were some lots I was interested in but due to no "Watch List" function, passed on the sale. Sent a contact request about this to Scotsman, with no reply. hm

There were some lots I was interested in but due to no "Watch List" function, passed on the sale. Sent a contact request about this to Scotsman, with no reply. hm

Lee, I remember you asking me about this a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't occur to me at the time... but the way I handle this is to place a low-ball bid on all the auction lots I'm interested in. Then, I print out the complete list of "my bids", and that is what I take to the live auction as reference for what I'm interested in.

I remember the first time I saw that happen. It was at an auction in Cincinnati. Just a general coin auction but it had a nice run of half cents an large cents. The auction was running along smoothly , they finish lot 118 which was the last large cent and as they open lot 119 the first three rows of bidders get up and walk out enmass. It really flustered the auctioneer and someone had to explain to him what was happening, the EACers were leaving.

One lot I picked up was the group of Conder tokens, as I needed a number of them for my collection, but it went for a lot more than I expected.

So what were the ones you DIDN'T need for your collection? (you never know maybe there is something one of us can use.) What was in the lot anyway? Since there was no information in the lot description only someone who had the chance to view it in person would have been interested. But there could have been some bargains because for the price it sounds like it went fairly cheap.