• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADED U.S. COINS

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

being a Canadian living in Ontario, I have always loved collecting the Morgan $1. My personal opinion is that it's the most beautiful in the world. Anyway, my question is would an American citizen buy a graded coin certified by a Canadian grading company such as ICCS(international coin certification service). A well known service here in Canada. Last year I purchased a raw 1878CC Morgan for $180 and had it graded by ICCS, grade was a surprising MS-63. I sold it to a U.S. citizen for $325. Should I get all my U.S. coins certified by the Canadian company or send them down to the popular NGC?

Any opinion's please.

Thank you.

By the looks of ICCS, they specialize in Canadian coins. I would be a little skeptical in thier expertise for all coins if it were me. They do however recommend NGC as one of the top grading companies for Canadian coins also. This would make NGC better qualified for all coins in my opinion.

By the looks of ICCS, they specialize in Canadian coins. I would be a little skeptical in thier expertise for all coins if it were me. They do however recommend NGC as one of the top grading companies for Canadian coins also. This would make NGC better qualified for all coins in my opinion.

agreed (thumbs u

ICCS has a good reputation, but most collectors of US coinage have never heard of them. Therefore, if you decide to certify additional US coinage you would do well to have it certified by NGC or PCGS.

I have purchased a number of ICCS coins (often for customers), and in my personal experience, they are outstanding when it comes to grading. I find them to be refreshingly conservative, but not overly so, and frankly, I think the U.S. companies could learn a thing or two about proper grading from them.

As a bonus, I much prefer how ICCS seals your coin in a simple flip, rather than a monster sized slab.

Sadly, we do not see enough ICCS-certified coins!